cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Query on long running client import process

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gurus,

I have few queries regarding the parameter PHYS_MEMSIZE. Let me brief about the SAP server configuration before I get into the actual problem.

We are running on ECC 6.0 on windows 2003, SP2 - 64 bit and DB is SQL 2005 with 16GB RAM and page file configured 22 GB.

As per the Zero Administration Memory management I have learnt as a rule of thumb, use SAP/DB = 70/30 and set the parameter PHYS_MEMSIZE to approximately 70% of the installed main memory. Please suggest should I change the parameter as described in zero administration memory guide? If so what are the precautions we should take care for changing memory parameters. Are there any major dependencies and known issues associated to this parameter?

Current PHYS_MEMSIZE parameter set to 512 MB.

Few days ago we had to perform the client copy using EXPORT / IMPORT method. Export process was normal and went well However the import process took almost 15 HRs to complete. Any clues what could be the possible reasons for long running client copy activity in SQL environment. I am suspecting the parameter PHY_MEMSIZE was configured to 512 MB which appears to be very low.

Please share your ideas and suggestions on this incase if anyone have ever experienced this sort of issue because we are going to perform a client copy again in next 10 days so i really need your inputs on this.

Thanks & Regards,

Vinod

Edited by: vinod kumar on Dec 5, 2009 9:24 AM

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Vinod,

Current PHYS_MEMSIZE parameter set to 512 MB.

Its too less.

As per the Zero Administration, we should delete the parameter PHYS_MEMSIZE.If you delete this parameter, It will consider the memory which available physically(your RAM size). If you set to particular value as 512MB, its considering that your RAM is 512MB.I guess, there no other instances are running in your box.In this case you can set the parameter value 10GB or 12GB.Or as per the Zero Administration, you can delete this parameter from your instance profile also.

As Markus told, client import time is dependent on the size of the client also. what is your DB size?

Thanks & Regards,

Nagendra.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Nagendra,

Thanks for your quick response.

Our production environment is running on ACtive/Active clustering like One central Instance and Dialog Instance. Database size is 116 GB with 1 data file and log file is 4.5 Gb which are shared in cluster.

As suggested by you if I need to modify the PHYS_MEMSIZE to 11 or 12 GB(70% of physical RAM). What are the precautions should I consider and I see there are many dependencies associated with this parameter as per the documentation of this parameter.

The standard values of the following parameters are calculated

According to PHYS_MEMSIZE

em/initial_size_MB = PHYS_MEMSIZE (extension by PHYS_MEMSIZE / 2)

rdisp/ROLL_SHM

rdisp/ROLL_MAXFS

rdisp/PG_SHM

rdisp/PG_MAXFS

Should I make the changes to both Central and dialog instance as well. Please clarify me,. Also are there any other parameters should i enhance or adjust to speedup the client copy process.

Many Thanks...

Thanks & Regards,

Vinod

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI Nagendra,

Our Quality and Developement servers are running on single host allocated with 16GB physical memory. At the moment i see that , only 4GB of physical memory is shown my Task Manager as unused with 12GB in use (the DEV SQL server instance is using 4GB of this, whilst the QAS SQL server instance is using 6GB, the other 2GB in use being spread amongst the remaining processes, including several disp_work.exe instances).

In this case what should be best way to distribute the memory across the multiple instances. If i consider 8GB for each instance then DEV server PHYS_MEMSIZE would be 70% of the 8GB and ramaining 30% will be used by DEV Database.

If i set PHYS_MEMSIZE to 70% RAM ..does it mean that 70% of memory is exclusively assigned for SAP Instance use ..is there any chances of getting slow response times at DB end...30% of memory would be suffice for Database ? please clarify me.

Thanks & Regards,

Vinod

former_member204746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

so, you are saying that DEV and QAS are both installed on the same server?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes.. Both Developement and Qulity are installed on the same server.

former_member204746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

so, set PHYS_MEMSIZE to 5000 forr both instances. give 2GB per database instance.

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Made changes to PHYS_MEMSIZE as recommended. thanks for your time.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I'm going to agree with Markus and say you've got a database (or I/O) problem. Was there sufficient free space in you DB for the new client? Auto growth can really kill performance. How about backup mode and tlog size? Where did you store the export files? If you've used a single disk (say your own workstation) I could see 15 hours for the import.

On a side note I usually find the 70/30 memory rule works well for me, but I don't think that's your problem.

former_member906139
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hello,

With PHYS_MEMSIZE, you need to set em/initial_size_MB equal to 70% of total ram.

Regarding long running client export, stats update for DB might help you.

Regards,

Abhay

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

A client import time is mainly driven by the size of the client and the database speed. By default only one R3trans process imports the table content sequentially.

What size had the source client?

A PHYS_MEMSIZE of 512 MB is VERY low.

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Markus,

Sorry for the delayed response.

When we tried with client copy last time, The export copy size was 6.5 GB around. and database size is 116GB,RAM 16GB and page file is 32 GB. Should i have to adjust the parameter PHYS_MEMSIZE to approx 70% of the total RAM in SAP server. As per the Zero Administration Memory management.

Is there any possible ways to speed up the client copy process ? Are there any memory parameters should i check or adjust like PHYS_MEMSIZE? Please suggest.

Thanks & Regards,

Vinod

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> Is there any possible ways to speed up the client copy process ? Are there any memory parameters should i check or adjust like PHYS_MEMSIZE? Please suggest.

As I said before, if you have only one import process it's mainly the database speed that's important since the import is sequential.

You can try to speed that up using more than one R3trans process:

Note 1127194 - R3trans import with parallel processes

This can speed up the import significantly.

PHYS_MEMSIZE is out of scope for this functionality.

Markus