cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fundamental question about syncing SAP_BUILDT DCs

Former Member
0 Kudos

This is really sort of a followup to a previous posting (). In that post I reported a problem I had when creating a new Dictionary DC: WARNING: junk/test/dic: Sync used Dcs: Failed to sync used archives from compartment : sap.com_SAP_BUILDT_1.

In that case I was using NWDI SP 13, NWDS SP's 13 and 15 (same problem with either version).

We have just patched the NWDI SP 13 system to SP 16, and I have installed NWDS SP 16 too. I get the same problem, though, when creating a Dictionary DC for a new track/Development Configuration created in SP 16, using NWDS SP 16.

This time I've dug around a little more. I see from the output (when I complete the creation of the new Dictionary DC) in General User Output and from the .synchdb file for the new Development Configuration that the warning quoted above occurs when it trys to synch the public part for /tc/bi/ant.

I don't see why, as I find ant.pp in my NWDS SP 16 installation com.sap.tc.ap\comp\SAP_BUILDT|DCs\sap.com\tc\bi\ant\_comp\def:

<public-part version="1.0">

<name>ant</name>

<purpose>infrastructure</purpose>

</public-part>

I kind of stumbled on to a crude fix for this. If I temporarily go to my SP 15 version of NWDS and Sync Used DCs on the Dictionary project, the public part of /tc/bi/ant gets synced successfully (along with some other DCs). From that point forward, I can create dev objects in this DC and do successful local builds, in either NWDS 15 or NWDS 16.

But I finally realize this, and this is my real question in this post: I don't really understand <b>precisely</b> what happens when NWDS syncs the used DCs of required SCs like SAP_BUILDT. Can anyone "take me to school" on this, as well as perhaps suggest what is behind the problem described above?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

When syncing used DCs, the public parts (and probably some other stuff) for these DCs are downloaded from the DTR to your NWDS Development Configuration. This is not the same thing as you find in your NWDS installation's plugins directory (com.sap.tc.ap\comp\SAP_BUILDT\DCs\sap.com\tc\bi\ant\_comp\def): That is the Local Development Development Configuration.

Message was edited by: Pascal Willemsen

Marc was a bit quicker...

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Randy,

not sure where this is documented in the NetWeaver documentation, but basically what happens if you sync a "Used DC" (as archive) is:

- the NWDS looks into the development configuration (.confdef file) which CBS can provide the archive.

- the NWDS then syncs the DC Information archive and all public part archives from the CBS. You can get these archives manually using the CBS WebUI, basically they are all some kind of zip archive.

If synching with one IDE version fails I would suspect some kind of communication problem between the IDE and CBS, maybe due to different versions. To narrow down the issue you can check the eclipse log for exceptions or enable some additional logging in the trace configuration options (in NWDS preferences).

As an aside: synching the tc/bi/ant DC from a CBS has nothing to do with the ant.pp file you can find in com.sap.tc.ap/... This eclipse plugin just serves as an archive pool if you are working with the Local Development configuration. If you are working on a track with a CBS it is not used at all.

Best regards,

Marc

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Marc (and Pascal). Your replies clear up a lot of things for me!