cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

multiple clients and multiple databases on one system

bruce_hartley
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Does SAP support having a single system ( Let's call it PEQ for the sake of argument ) having multiple clients ( again, for the sake of argument, call them 200, 250, 260, and 300) allow for each client to have it's own physical database ?

For example, here is what I would like to have set up:

PEQ 200 - database 1

PEQ 250 - database 2

PEQ 260 - database 3

PEQ 300 - database 1

So PEQ 200 and 300 access database 1, PEQ 250 accesses database 2, and PEQ 260 accesses database 3.

I only want to know if this is possible and if so how would you set it up. I do not want to get into any discussion on whether this is the best way to go or not. Any pointers to OSS notes on the subject are more than welcome.

Thanks;

Bruce

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> So PEQ 200 and 300 access database 1, PEQ 250 accesses database 2, and PEQ 260 accesses database 3.

>

> I only want to know if this is possible and if so how would you set it up. I do not want to get into any discussion on whether this is the best way to go or not. Any pointers to OSS notes on the subject are more than welcome.

Simple answer: No.

Long answer:

- Workprocesses don't know anything about "clients". A client is nothing more than an additional field in a table with the client number. So it's not possible to configure them to connect to a certain database using a "client number".

- A client alone has nothing but application data. It has no dictionary (tables, views) and it has no repository (source code) that can be executed

- A SAP system (ABAP) has cross client customizing that would need to be shared somehow, technically not possible since also here the workprocess (which is the lowest unit) does not know whether a table is client dependent or not.

Maybe there is a way to come out of this dilemma - if you tell us, what you (business) requirement is.

Markus

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Bruce Hartley ,

For example, here is what I would like to have set up:

PEQ 200 - database 1

PEQ 250 - database 2

PEQ 260 - database 3

PEQ 300 - database 1

Assume that you installed PEQ 200 - database 1

SAP wont allow to install another instance separately by the same name PEQ.You can install seperate database by another instance name (SID).

Thanks & Regards,

Nagendra.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I'm pretty sure the answer's no. There's things you could try like table partitioning on the client and filegroups but SAP doesn't support mulitple filegroups (or table partitioning outside of BI systems).