Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UPG Export User Master Data from 4.6 to 6.00

jorge_velasquez
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

I want to export the User Master Data from CUA 4.6C to CUA 6.00 but I see A client copy is not supported by SAP because is a different release, so could you please tell me how we can do this without any clonflict?

Best Regards.

13 REPLIES 13

Former Member
0 Kudos

It is a relatively simple exercise to extract the users data from the supporting tables and use this to populate an LSMW or eCATT to recreate the users in the new client.

0 Kudos

Hi Alex,

Can you explain in detail how to?

Best Regards.

0 Kudos

Hi Jorge

There is plenty of info on this forum which will help you. I would take the following steps

1. ID all data elements I want to move over

2. ID all the tables that the data is in (one of your development team will be able to help with this if you are unsure)

3. Extract the data and create a master sheet with all the data (you can use access or excel with lookups for this)

4. Perform any required cleansing on the data

5. Identify any data elements that need to exist in new system (e.g. User Groups, Company Addresses, Roles etc)

6. Record an eCATT or LSMW to create a user and populate the data elements. There are lots of tutorials on the internet that give guidance on creation of LSMW/eCATT

7. Use the data in the master sheet as the core data for your LSMW/eCATT

8. Validate the userID's against the source system.

Depending on the number of users, this process should take no more than 1.5 days to complete.

0 Kudos

If you try a search you will find some upgrade related discussions about transfering users and CUA aspects.

If you add the search term [beer|http://forums.sdn.sap.com/search.jspa?threadID=&q=cuaANDbeer&objID=f208&dateRange=all&numResults=15&rankBy=10001] then it sometimes helps as well..

The advantage of BAPIs is that their interfaces are stable beyond system release boundardies and the user's influence (e.g. screen programming in transactions which change, such as SU01 has... or database table fields, as some other folks attempt to do it...).

I can recommend doing some some "house cleaning" before you migrate the users, and then only migrate the active users, used roles (used programs, etc... :-).

Cheers,

Julius

0 Kudos

Hi Alex,

Thank you very much for the help!

If I do that also the roles assigned to this users are importing?

On the other hand I want to ask you something, in tx scc9 -->goto -->request copy I can create a request with all info of the client with SAP_USER profile and import it to Target client, Do you think this work too?

Regards.

0 Kudos

> If I do that also the roles assigned to this users are importing?

No, and I don't suggest trying it either. 46(c?) to 7.00 is a major release change. Take the opportunity to build the roles new and repair your landscape and role builds. There are many new features and corrections available if you implement a new system! Upgrading an existing (old) one is a different "ball game".

> On the other hand I want to ask you something, in tx scc9 -->goto -->request copy I can create a request with all info of the client with SAP_USER profile and import it to Target client, Do you think this work too?

This is intended for client copies within landscapes which are on the same release to my knowledge. Beyond release boundaries you will be dependent on the import rules, and they are generally quite blunt. It is not a clean migration.

Please read my above linked "beer" thread. There are many things to consider with dual maintenance (beyond just transfering the user ID's in an intact way).

Please take note that the password mechanisms have changed as well. If you want to make a clean start with better config, then the CUA "master as child" approach might require a reset of all passwords...

I recommend using a stagered approach => The users correct their own records when they logon, and then you can switch the compatibility when you can handle the helpdesk load for "occasional" users.

Good luck and let us know how it goes (i normally request a system copy to a sandbox on day 1, not a client copy.. as you will face many "legacy" things between <46C and >7.00...

Cheers,

Julius

0 Kudos

Hi

There is nothing I want to add to Julius' replies on this one.

Can I ask why you are doing it this way? If you were upgrading 4.6->6 then I can understand why you would be performing the upgrade steps etc. In this case you are copying "old" information into a new client. That new client will have different data and config compared to the old client so it is likely that your existing build would not work, or at the minimum require the upgrade steps to be performed. If that is the case then getting the users and roles in prior to the upgrade would be recommended.

0 Kudos

Hi Julius,

I check the thread and I see what you explain about BAPI uses, but I dont know how to do it and how to tranfer the data to the target system.

I see BAPI> Basis Component> Security>USER> Detail and also Create

On the other hand what happened with the roles of each users? I have to transfer them too, but in other way?

Rgards

0 Kudos

Hi Alex, we did it with BAPI with the help of our abaper, but the users in target system are now locked! Perhaps for security policies! , when you unlock ´em and end their sessions, then locked again!

Any clue?

Regards

Edited by: jorge velasquez on Dec 7, 2009 1:41 PM

0 Kudos

Hi Jorge,

I can't say I have seen that before. Does the same happen when you create a user manually?

What are the parameters in your system that control passwords etc ( login/......)?

What is the lock code in table USR02 for one of the locked users?

0 Kudos

Are you sure they are locked?

A logical explanation is that they are logging on via Single-Sign-On and the system is deleting their password when this authentication method is chosen. This is not a lock of the account, it is a deletion of the password.

Also do a where-used-list on the UFLAG field of USR02 and keep an eye out for Z* and Y* programs...

Cheers,

Julius

ps: I deleted your duplicate post.

0 Kudos

hi,

The message in SU01 when click to unlocked is "locked by system manager"

There are some users that not apply for this and are not locked.

Regards.

Edited by: jorge velasquez on Dec 9, 2009 9:25 AM

0 Kudos

What is the value in USR02-UFLAG for these users with different behaviour (as already requested before in this thread)?