Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Get the distinguished name of a user object from the ume

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

i have a question to the ume api.

I have to read the user objects of special portal applications and export this information in an ldif file but i can not find

an api method on the ume user object where i can get the distinguished name of the user.

Our users are stored in an IBM Tivoli Directory.

Does anyone knows a trick to get this dn of the users?

Regards

Edmund

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I'm assuming you're working with NW 7.0; I'm not sure if the below instructions will work with CE....

To do what you want, you need to modify the data source configuration file for the UME to map the attributes from the directory into the local UME name space.

Please see the documentation for more information on how to do this:

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw70/helpdata/en/b7/14d43f2dd44821e10000000a1550b0/frameset.htm

specifically this:

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw70/helpdata/en/1a/2bee408a63732ae10000000a155106/frameset.htm

Be careful - if you damage the config file you won't be able to sign into your server. However, as long as you have access to the Config Tool (or Visual Administrator / Configuration Adapter) you can always upload a new one.

I would strongly recommend that you create a customized data source configuration file and give it a name specific to your organization. You can then upload it into the UME service, and then point at it. If everything goes wrong, you can just change the pointer to the original name, and restart the cluster. I believe that once you upload the new config file, you should be able to select it from the configuration drop down in the LDAP configuration screen - you may need to restart your cluster first, however.

Read through all the documentation I referenced above - it will tell you all.

Once this is all done, you'll be able to do this:

IUser user = UMFactory.getUserFactory().getUserByLogonId("xxx" );

String dn = user.getAttribute( "com.yourcompany", "attribute-name" );

When you create the customized data source config file, be sure to place the mapped attributes into their own namespace, so you remove any chance of impacting the existing UME attributes (which are in the SAP name space).

Good luck!

siarhei_pisarenka3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Edmund

What do you mean by "distinguished name of the user"?

// get unique ID (GUID):
IUser.getUniqueID();

// get unique logon name:
IUser.getUniqueName();

// get display name (first name, last name)
IUser.getDisplayName();

BR, Siarhei