Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Role without Tcode but with customized "Z" Object only

former_member676613
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi all,

Please help my querry is that with a Single Role as while seeing that role in PFCG in Menu Tab no Tcode is assigned and in the Authoriztion Tab -> change authorization tab just a single(one) Z auth object is maintained with Display actvt and i am not able to understand how this is going how the user are able to access the the Role without TCODE assigned but with just a Z authobject. please tell How this is going and working .

Your help will be greatly appreciated and pleas tell how this Z auth object are created.

Thanks,

Chandresh.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Former Member
0 Kudos

>

please tell How this is going and working .

What did the role creator say when you asked them?

9 REPLIES 9

Former Member
0 Kudos

My favourite type of question...

Tcodes are not the only entry points to the system.. there are also RFCs, webservices, spawned jobsteps, etc.. which can also be publicly available or anonymously started - depending on how you build and configure them.

My first guess would be that this is a so called "delta role" which did not fit in anywhere else, so was created as "stand alone".

Check the documentation in SU21 on it and do a where-used-list lookup from there to find the coding location. If that does not work, do a code scan for the object name using report RS_ABAP_SOURCE_SCAN. You should find it.

If you don't, then more advanced forensics will be needed which are hard to do remotely or explain in a forum post.

If you tell me which fields the object has and what it's name is, then it might help to narrow down the options. A check in a table view would be my first guess.

Cheers,

Julius

0 Kudos

Hi Julius,

Thanks for your support , i just want to tell you that the Auth Object is "z_plnt_auth" assigend to a role manually with field 'werks' = plant code and actvt = 03, and this object is defined in ABAP program with Authority-check statement.

Julius, please help me how this is flowing from Role to ABAP program to users, please explain what is this.

Regards,

Chandresh.

0 Kudos

> i just want to tell you that the Auth Object is "z_plnt_auth" assigend to a role manually with field 'werks' = plant code and actvt = 03, and this object is defined in ABAP program with Authority-check statement.

Okay, nothing special or new there...

Where is the program used and what does it do. Please check which other roles the users of this role have. I sounds like a "delta role".

Needless to say, "werks" is used in combination with "actvt" by several objects, so it a bit of an excess considering that there are most likely standard objects for this.

I place my bets on it being used in a view (which would make some sense).

You need to provide more infos (from the system) and just asking on site is a good idea (as mentioned by Alex).

Cheers,

Julius

0 Kudos

>

> You need to provide more infos (from the system) and just asking on site is a good idea (as mentioned by Alex).

>

> Cheers,

> Julius

I agree that asking onsite could give more insight into the Z-Object usage. I can explain the probable reason of having the Z-Object as a stand alone authorization

In a role inheritance scenario, when you have roles with 100+ transactions (role A, B,C, .......) which act as the master roles and the derived roles being A1,A2,A3...... depending on the number of inherited roles you have in the set-up, authorization objects like customer authorization group or vendor authorization group can be a tough task (as these are not called in the organization level values) - in this situation as the authorization groups would have to maintained individually in the inherited roles and can be a time consuming task with the additional risk of passing down the values of the master role every time it is generated and inherited - a better option could be to maintain a non-existent value in the master role , inherit it so the non-existent value is passed down to the inherited roles. To give access on the specific authorization groups , create a role with only the object F_KNA1_BED or F_BKPF_BED as might be the case and maintain organization specific values in these object and assign it to the users who need it

My guess would be that the Z-object the operator mentions is something that is developed to address such an issue

0 Kudos

Julius/Alex/Jurjen/Bernard.....

i dont want to flare up a controversy here but i would appreciate your views on the scenario explained (Right/Wrong/Good/Bad).........I am not the owner of the Thread, but it would be interesting to have your views

0 Kudos

Hi Shekar,

Personally I believe this approach can have it's uses if used carefully. Depending on your role design, it can improve flexibility and reduce role numbers without having a negative effect on security (which the value role concept can sometimes have).

Some examples where I have used it before include access to closed posting periods, release strategies, employee vendors.

Obviously there is also the position that the original poster has found - if not documented properly then it can be a pain to support, though for z* auth objects it's usually easier to pinpoint why it is being used.

Cheers

Alex

0 Kudos

Hi Alex,

I should confess....this is a real Blinder........You made my day :-)............ I dont know why, but when i was writing the previous post i had this thought (somehow Alex would hate this )

I find the concept very helpful and as you rightly said if it is well documented and a systematic approach followed for the naming conventions it could be very useful.......in fact on the project i currently work on, i have a similar set-up and it has drasticaly reduced the amount of fiddling needed to be done to the inherited roles

0 Kudos

>

I dont know why, but when i was writing the previous post i had this thought (somehow Alex would hate this )

ha ha, I save most of my hate for composite roles & value roles

Former Member
0 Kudos

>

please tell How this is going and working .

What did the role creator say when you asked them?