cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

critical segment notification

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

Is there a way to receive on email or even better to write log to text file on hard disk - when SAP system founds space-critical objects - that can be seen in transaction DB02OLD.

Maybe some sql script whitch can I run to check for space-critical objects??

I'm asking this because until 20 months ago I had in brconnect logfile of this command "brconnect -u / -c -f check" (Check DB in DB13) sometimes lines liek this:

BR0970W Database administration alert - level: WARNING, type: CRITICAL_SEGMENT, object: (table) SAPR3./DSD/ME_DDR_BAK, value: 163840 KB * 1 / PSAPBTABD (> 163832/133120/132480/120320/106504+ KB)

BR0970W Database administration alert - level: WARNING, type: CRITICAL_SEGMENT, object: (table) SAPR3./LIME/NLOG_QUAN, value: 163840 KB * 1 / PSAPBTABD (> 163832/133120/132480/120320/106504+ KB

This was very very helpfull to be proactive and to change next extent size to lower value or to extend tablespace - and to prevent "unable to extend table/index". But, now for some reason system does not act proactive and brconnect does not "see" critical tables/indexes and that next extent will have no more space to allocate - although in DB17 critical_segment is activated

thank you,

best regards,

Igor

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

Adding to Eric's reply follow the below link to acheive what you need.

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/EN/27/cbdf3b8dc95136e10000000a114084/frameset.htm

Just configure the Autoreaction method in RZ21 and assign the same to the MTE's in RZ20, this will create alerts of any type ie., mails, SMS, etc.,

Regards,

Yoganand.V

Former Member
0 Kudos

Eric and Yoganand - thank you, but in RZ20 there is nothing to find for critical_segment monitoring. Under SAP CCMS monitoring templates - database - oracle - space management there is "Tablespaces " and "Segments" - but nothing helps me to monitor that - next extent will not oferflow (full up) the tablespace.

But, now I discovered this in my system: I have 1 tablespace of size 700 GB and i switched autoextend off on all datafiles in that tablespace,.This tablespace is currenty more than 99% full, with just 70 MB of total free space. Of this 70 MB total free, the "next free space" is size of 36MB, and then the check in DB02 (DB02OLD) found lots of tables that could overflow the tablespace, beacuse all these tables requires 65 MB for next extent (so, this is not enough - I have just 36).

My problem is - why CheckDB in db13 (db13old) or this command: "brconnect -u / -c -f check", does not detect those tables from DB02 as critical segments ??? IT detects just TABLESPACE_FULL!!

In DB17 i have defined CRITICAL_SEGMENT <=2 but it doesn't help.

I want that CheckDB detects critical tables.

Can you help we maybe with this?

Thank you

Former Member
0 Kudos

Have a look at SAP note 435290:

The check condition CRITICAL_SEGMENT is irrelevant for locally managed tablespaces (LMTS)

Does this help?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Joe, thank you.

The explanation from note is very clear:

"The check condition CRITICAL_SEGMENT is irrelevant for locally managed tablespaces (LMTS), where the NEXT extents are determined automatically by Oracle. If space is limited, the system tries to fully utilize the available freespace, regardless of the size of the last extent allocated and the size of the freespace extent. For this reason, you should concentrate on monitoring the check condition TABLESPACE_FULL for LMTS."

Then i used condition TABLESPACE_FULL in DB17 and defined new threshold for individual tablespace with value I want.

thank you all,

my problem is solved.

best regards,

igor

Former Member
0 Kudos

Bull's eye, you got the answer from Joe Bo.

The following prerequisites must be met before you can use LMTS in an SAP system:

Oracle Release 8.1.7 or higher

SAP BR*Tools as of SAP Release 6.40

SAP R/3 kernel: all SAP releases as of SAP 4.6D kernel

Check SAP Note 214995

/Br Yoganand.V

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member204746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

you can configure RZ21 and RZ20 to do that. search the web with keywords:

SAP RZ20 auto-reaction email SCOT