cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Application specific User Preferences: Where to Store?

siarhei_pisarenka3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi WebDynpro Experts

I'm searching for a solution for storing user preferences for our WebDynpro application. In details, when user opens the application we want to show the previous data entered by the user at a previous user session.

My first idea was Cookies, but Cookies were not supported by WebDynpro in NW Java 7.0.

In general I think that instead of Cookies it's better to keep application specific user preferences in some storage on server. In database, for example, or in NW Java Configuration Adapter.

Could you please suggest some good solutions for the task.

Thanks and Regards,

Siarhei

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi.

In SAP Portal it is possible to store information on a per user/per iView basis (look for personalization context).

So if you are planning to use your WD in portal, consider using the portal mechanisms. I never tried this so far, so I don't have code fragments for WD, but there certainly are several examples on how to use personalization on SDN.

Jan

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I believe Portal Personalization would store only the personalized values for PCD context and not application context.

Storing data in portal in possible only through two means as i know:

1. Save data into database and then retrieve from there when he logs in second time.

2. Guided Procedures.

I believe you are not in need of any workflow, and so you can ignore the GP option.

You can go ahead with data storage in DB for a specific user + specific application. On load of the application, call a BAPI to get the data from DB if any. If not, display blank/default values. On submit save values to DB from screen.

Regards,

Tushar Sinha

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI,

I think if the Cookies usage would fit best, just use Cookies. Seriously, I think it's a huge flaw of WDP not providing such functionality. I wouldn't deny the usage of it only because it's not being "literally" exposed by the framework.

Otherwise, if the data needs to be available even if the user logs from a different machine, I'd rather use a Dictionary Project and create my own "Application" to do this. Otherwise, I think someone in the back-end can store this values somewhere.

Regards,

Daniel