cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Query reg. Resource and time allocation in cProjects

Former Member
0 Kudos

Wondering if someone can answer this query related to - Resource and time allocation in cProjects.

I understand the following regarding creating cProject -

1 - Project manager creates a cProject for any upcoming new project in the organization.

2 - Phases and Tasks will be created automatically (at our end) based on the template selected while creating the cProject.

3 - Project manager assigns the resources to the project.

4 - Allocate start date and end date for the resources against Tasks or Phase -

> This is the point where there isn't enough documentation to help me progress further. Please can someone suggest how and where do we specify the start date and end date to a resource in cProject.

A sample document on the BEST approach to create cProject, assign reources to tasks, allocate start date and end date would indeed help further clarify my doubt.

I wante to create a cProject with various tasks, assign resources, start and end date for each task. As the project progresses,

I want to execute a report to track the progress of this cProject as resources go on completing a task.

Thanks,

RB

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Please disregard this reply / A

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi,

I believe there is no such document which will guide, how to execute particular project in cProject from management perspective. I feel its as per individual's business requirement.

Allocate start date and end date for the resources against Tasks or Phase - When we prepare Project template, we define all project structure with phase, tasks, milestones, etc. Also we define phase and task depedency, duration for tasks. In actual Project execution PM creates project with reference to template, he add or delete any task / phase, changes duration if required. While in project planning, planner has to enter start and end date for project. cProject scedules all other dates accordingly. We need not to go to individual phase or task to adjust dates. one can adjust only duration and depency to get required dates for tasks. This is standard planning phelosophy used in CPR, MSP or Primavra I believe.

While doing resource assignment, the start and end dates are coming from task assigned to perticular Project Role.

cProjects automatically schedules the plan in create status, once the project released and actual status updated in cProjects, Project plan needs to schedules manually with help of schedule button in Project menu.

I hope the above information will help u to solve ur query.

Pramod

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Pramod,

Thanks for your reply. Below are some queries based on few points mentioned by you.

Allocate start date and end date for the resources against Tasks or Phase -

When we prepare Project template, we define all project structure with phase, tasks, milestones, etc. - OK

Also we define phase and task depedency, duration for tasks. - OK

In actual Project execution PM creates project with reference to template, he add or delete any task / phase, changes duration if required. - How do you change duration of the task ? What series of events or clicks need to be followed ? Would be nice if atleast one option is listed.

While in project planning, planner has to enter start and end date for project. - OK

cProject scedules all other dates accordingly. We need not to go to individual phase or task to adjust dates. one can adjust only duration and depency to get required dates for tasks. This is standard planning phelosophy used in CPR, MSP or Primavra I believe. - At phase level, I can see Earliest start + finish and Latest start + finish dates populated automatically. In addition Start date constraint and Finish data constraints fields are available and empty. Is it mandatory to enter these dates ?

While doing resource assignment, the start and end dates are coming from task assigned to particular Project Role. - At Task level, I can see Earliest start + finish and Latest start + finish dates populated automatically. In addition Start date constraint and Finish data constraints fields are available and empty. Is it mandatory to enter these dates ?

cProjects automatically schedules the plan in create status, once the project released and actual status updated in cProjects, Project plan needs to schedules manually with help of schedule button in Project menu.- When I click Schedule button, message - Bottom-up scheduling was carried out is populated on screen. What is Bottom-up scheduling ?

Would be nice to get reply to above queries.

Thanks,

RB

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi,

In actual Project execution PM creates project with reference to template, he add or delete any task / phase, changes duration if required. - How do you change duration of the task ? What series of events or clicks need to be followed ? Would be nice if atleast one option is listed. - its on basic data tab of task

cProject scedules all other dates accordingly. We need not to go to individual phase or task to adjust dates. one can adjust only duration and depency to get required dates for tasks. This is standard planning phelosophy used in CPR, MSP or Primavra I believe. - At phase level, I can see Earliest start + finish and Latest start + finish dates populated automatically. In addition Start date constraint and Finish data constraints fields are available and empty. Is it mandatory to enter these dates ? - Not mandatory

While doing resource assignment, the start and end dates are coming from task assigned to particular Project Role. - At Task level, I can see Earliest start + finish and Latest start + finish dates populated automatically. In addition Start date constraint and Finish data constraints fields are available and empty. Is it mandatory to enter these dates ? - not mandatory

cProjects automatically schedules the plan in create status, once the project released and actual status updated in cProjects, Project plan needs to schedules manually with help of schedule button in Project menu.- When I click Schedule button, message - Bottom-up scheduling was carried out is populated on screen. What is Bottom-up scheduling ? - I sincerely suggest to refer some Project management / plannning document. Bottom up scheduling is used to plan the project in reverse way. When finish date is known n fixed.

Pramod

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you for replying back Pramod and your inputs.

They do help a step further. As mentioned by you and I do understand there are various ways to go about working on cProject, it would help if you or the EXPERTS can identify any missing links in a basic scenario related to cProject creation, resource assignment and completing the tasks. This is how I see cProject working...any issues with the steps below please let us know your suggestions.

1 - Create cProject by selecting a template.

2 - Tasks and phases are populated automatically based on the template.

3 - Assign the resources to the project. Based on the template, resources are allocated to the task.

4 - Assign start date and end date for the project.

5 - Based on the template (at our end) I see start dates and end dates populated for the phases and tasks.

6 - Releasing the cProject helps other user to start working on the tasks assigned to them.

7 - Once the cProject is released, tasks appear for the User on cProjects Dashboard -> TASKS Tab. Task is completed by the user by uploading notes, documents via cFolders. Users then set the start date and end date for the task and mark it as COMPLETED. This is the process to follow for remainder of the tasks in cProjects..

Also, can someone suggest if the SAP Press book -Project Portfolio Management with SAP® RPM and cProjects is okay to refer for only cProjects functionality in a Standalone scenario i.e. xRPM component is NOT implemented at our end.

Thanks,

RB

Edited by: Rajeshree Bhatiya on Dec 3, 2009 2:47 AM

Edited by: Rajeshree Bhatiya on Dec 3, 2009 2:47 AM

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi,

I believe this is how it should work.

Pramod

Former Member
0 Kudos

Gr8 thanks once more Pramod. That does help.

Thanks,

RB

Edited by: Rajeshree Bhatiya on Dec 4, 2009 1:56 AM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Can someone suggest if the SAP Press book -Project Portfolio Management with SAP® RPM and cProjects is okay to refer for only cProjects functionality in a Standalone scenario i.e. xRPM component is NOT implemented at our end.

Please let me know about this.

Thanks,

RB

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi.

Yes - it is contains a lot of information useful also for a standalone cProject scenario. Recommended.

Regards / Anders

jatin_grover
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Rajshree,

you can have a look at this link:-

[http://help.sap.com/saphelp_ppm400/helpdata/en/index.htm]

Check out

Project Planning with cProjects

Resource and Time Management with cProjects

Best regards,