Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sap license keys for Test Landscape

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Sap R/3 Enterprise - 4.70

We have created a test Sap Landscape for testing Backup & Recovery. We are experiencing licensing issue when trying to log onto the test Landscape because the hardware key has changed.

We have raised calls with Sap, but as yet have not provided a working solution.

What would happen if I generated a new license on Sap Market Place for the test hardware as a temporary Measure?

Would it cause problems with our Production systems, because the license key on Sap Market place would not match the one installed on our productiion system?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

Have you tried pretending the new system is just another application server for the productive system? Go into the system admin screen, navigate to the application server tab and hit edit. Create a new server using the hardware values of the test machine and request a license for it.

Regards,

Michael

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I have just tried to add this as another application server, but because the test host name is the same as the Production host name, it does not allow duplicate.

Thanks

Vickie

Former Member
0 Kudos

Application servers don't have a license, but database servers have. All you need is to register the additional hardware key under the production system. This is also often needed for HA installations.

Cheers Michael

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for your reply

When I go onto the db server tab, it does not allow me to add an additional DB server.

Regards

Vickie

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sorry for beeing unclear, you don't need another db server. You need to add another hardware key for the existing production system. You get the hardware key from transaction SLICENSE in the test system (or saplicense -get) and goto the license managment in the service marketplace.

Your production system won't be affected, if you request another license. But make sure everybody knows, why there is another license to avoid confusion.

Cheers Michael

Former Member
0 Kudos

This is true, we have done this many times, I remember that we ask for licenses already requested and in one of them you can add a new hardware key, then a new License will be generated.

After this you will have two different HW keys for that system.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Michael,

Thanks for your reply.

I have gone onto Data Admin, System data on Market place and selected the system that I am having problems with. I have clicked on the License key & Maintenance Certificate and selected - request license key. It only allows me to change the existing entry or remove the existing entry. I can not create an additional entry.

Please can you let me know if I am in the correct place.

Regards

Vickie

Former Member
0 Kudos

Well it is almost impossible to find:

service.sap.com -> Keys & Requests -> License Keys -> Request permanent license key (installation list) -> select your installation -> click on the system change icon (prod sid) -> continue -> enter the hardware key of the test system

Cheers Michael

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I would like to say a big thank you for helping me sort this problem out. It works at last. I am still waiting for a solution from Sap support for 4 weeks and you have sorted it out for me in 2 days. Your amazing.

Vickie

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I think you can get around the duplicate host name by using the fully qualified (host.domain) for one application server and just the host name for the other. And it's possible the host name isn't used in the generation of the license key, in which case you can enter anything for the host but this could cause confusion later.

Regards,

Michael

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Victoria.

You can create any system, even with the same SID.

The strangeness is the error that you have, because I created a test system with a full BackUP and recovery, And I dont had the same error.

But you can get a new license for test system with a same SID that your productive system. Only you must be careful in the "Description", and describe that the system is for TESTING.

Regards,

Esteban G.-

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI,

Thanks for your reply. I have just tried to create another system with the same SID, but it will not allow duplicate systems with the same SID.

Thanks

Vickie

Former Member
0 Kudos

Victoria, don´t worry, you can create a test license or backup license in Market Place. I have done this many times and it won´t affect your Production license. The only problem could be if the test system has the same SID than the one in production.

If yours is like the last sentence, then you will need to modify the one you have and specify that this is a test system.

Have a nice day,

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for your advise, but my Sid is the same. We have build a full test landscape, on a different network. I have tried to create a new license on Sap Market place, but this is not possible. I have rang the Sap Help desk - only to be told that I must create a customer message, which I have, but after 3 weeks of trying they still have not found a solution.

I was just wondering what problems I would have if I changed my Live details on Sap marketplace to the test machine details - just so that I can generate a new license key, and then change it back. Don't know what implications this would have?

Regards

Vickie

peter_dzurov
Contributor
0 Kudos

I think that naming of your test system like production is not a good idea. Anyway, have you tried to generate additional license (for another HW key - that one on which your copy of prod is running) for your prod. system SID on marketplace?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for your reply. I have tried to create an additional license key using the test hardware key - but it will not allow me to do this on Sap Market place, it will only allow me to create one for our current production system.

I was thinking about changing the current Production license to the test hardware key just to get a license key genereate and then change it back. I do not whether this is possible, or whether it would create problems with SAP.

Thanks

Vickie

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Vickie,

a SID in a landscape should be UNIQUE; this is described in all the installation and planning guides. It's a bad idea to have the same system SID for test and production.

The easiest (and recommended) way would be to do a system copy and use a different SID for the test system so you can nicely request a new license.

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for your reply and the comment you are making is correct. We have created a duplicate landscape on a sparate network, so Sid resolution is not a problem. We are testing backup and recovery on this test landscape.

Regards

Vickie