cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

what is the optimal sizing for oraarch in Dev QA and Prod for EHP4

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have seen some widely varying figures given for /oraarch on UNIX systems. I know what the install manuals recommend but I am looking for some real world figures.Can some of you provide some figures and why?

I would like to have enough technical information to justify 100GB is this is acceptable.

Thanks

Weyland Y

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Think of...

... how much redo do we generate per day?

... how much data/work are we allowed to loose (1 hour or 1 day)?

The amount of redo generated per day should dictate the size of the oraarch, it should at least be capable to consume the redo logs of an average day, plus some additional buffer. If you have 60gb redo per day, 100gb oraarch is a good size.

If your business does not care to loose 1 day of work, then you can save your redo logs once per day. Because that is what you loose in case your disks go bananas. If that is too much, then you have to save your redo logs more often.

Cheers Michael

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

The answer will depend on how much load will be on your system, that is, how many GB of logfiles will be created during a period of time.

And it will depend on how often you will call brarchive.

Nobody here but you can tell you any number, neither 5GB nor 500GB.

That being said, your idea of 100GB is within the range I can see on our systems; it is somewhat between 20GB and 300GB.

hope this helps

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Yutani,

If your redolog file size approximately 50mb and avarage they are generating around 50to100 files daily, you should give size aroung 60to100GB mount point., based on your backup strategy you can move archive logs daily into tapes. This is rough estimation

Regards

Chandra