cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Storage Cards on Mobile Devices

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi everyone,

I have been reading some threads regarding the use of Compact Flash cards to run your MI app. This will save your main RAM from running out of memory.

Unfortunatley all the devices I have to choose from use an SD slot, and according to SAP, it specifically will not work with that type. Only CF.

The steps are detailed in the following link:

<a href="http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/en/d4/930041e9c5f06fe10000000a1550b0/content.htm">http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/en/d4/930041e9c5f06fe10000000a1550b0/content.htm</a>

I am limited to the default 64 mb of RAM, and it is already 20% used with Windows Mobile 2003 default programs. Which leaves me with approx. 55 mb.

Once the install of MI, DB2, and MAM are done I'm left with only 7 MB. There is no way data can be loaded or created with our business requirement.

I have 256 MB on the SD card, but I can't use it! This is very frustrating.

I would appreciate any suggestions. to relieve the memory useage.

Thank you in advance.

The only option I have is to remove Windows Mobile 2003 programs, but I will always have to worry about running out of memory.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Alex

U can go for HP IPAC for using the flash card o else

Only way for this is to move ur unused windows folders like my picture, my music etc to sd card the device and use it but i feel it wont sove ur problem in production that data will be huge.

one more suggestion is to filter data using Roles and by using BADIs u may see some examples iin Enhancements Guide

bye

sid

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Karthik, I have gone through the instructions and I have a few questions:

1. Section 'Copying SAP MI and CrEme to the PDA' - Cannot find the localhostworkaround.cpf file.

2. Do we need to do the Patch and DB install as described in the instructions, or can we install it via the web console and have it deploy automatically.

This will populate the directories, and modify the listofjars.txt.

3. Should we be calling the CF Card directory 'CF Card'. My directory for the memory card is called 'Storage Card'.

4. When modifying the MobileEngine.lnk file, it references -cf as the command. Will this still work with my SD card?

5. When modifying the MobileEngine.lnk file, does it matter if the directory has a single quote ' around the path name. My existing MobileEngine.lnk file does no use quotations for part of the path. Does it have to be exact?

6. If I complete all steps until 'Adjusting Files on the CF Card', can I test that the device works at that time. I don't have a need for any mass install at this time.

Please advise. Thank you.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Alex,

Please see my answers for the questions-

1. Section 'Copying SAP MI and CrEme to the PDA' - Cannot find the localhostworkaround.cpf file?

<b>Please ignore localhostworkaround.cpf</b>

2. Do we need to do the Patch and DB install as described in the instructions, or can we install it via the web console and have it deploy automatically?

<b>You can do this before you move the MI directory to the storage device.</b>

3. Should we be calling the CF Card directory 'CF Card'?

<b>'Storage Card' is absolutely fine, 'CF card' is just an example</b>

4.When modifying the MobileEngine.lnk file, it references -cf as the command. Will this still work with my SD card?

<b>Yes it will work with -cf</b>

5.When modifying the MobileEngine.lnk file, does it matter if the directory has a single quote ' around the path name?

<b>The single quote is most important. This is because in your case the root directory is 'Storage Card', since it has a space we have to add the quotes. Any path with a space would require quotes.</b>

6. If I complete all steps until 'Adjusting Files on the CF Card', can I test that the device works at that time?

<b>Yes you can test the steps.</b>

Best of luck!

Karthik

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Alex

Please Note to apply DB2E path before assigning any other application to the mobile client .

bye

sid

Award Points If u find this useful

Former Member
0 Kudos

hii alex, karthik , siddharth,

can u plz help me out . i have to insatll DB2E on my pda.

what is the procedure for that (from where to get db2e installation and if some other files r needed &how to insatll it on pda.)

thanks in advance.

regards

devendra

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Devendra,

DB2E can be found in the service marketplace,

http://service.sap.com

SAP Support Portal -> Downloads -> Database patches -> DB2E

Please refer to the note 677476 for all details regarding installation.

Best Regards,

Karthik

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Devendra

U can get it in market place but u need licensees for that u can see the link only if u have purchased DB2E licencees . It cost u very less per DB2E patch.

Please award some points if u fel this info is useful

bye

sid

Message was edited by: Siddhartha

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Sid for your reply.

Unfortunatley HP does not have a model that meets our safety specification which is Class 1, Div 1.

I also tried moving any unused applications, but I was denied because most of the application are stored on the ROM. You cannot remove anything from the ROM. My only option was to remove the shortcuts from the start menu. This saved me only 0.01 of a MB.

It looks like I may have to filter data using the BADI's. That's really too bad. This restricts the use of the application and our business case.

Thanks again.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Alex,

Have you tried to install MI on an SD card?

Do the same procedure as the link says, I have a feeling it should work.

If you get stuck inbetween Ill help you out.

The only problem with that is that if MI is installed on an SD card everything would run a lot slower.

Best Regards,

Karthik

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Karthik

I tried doing that it did not wor can you please tell me how can we do that on SD Cadrd I followed all the steps exartly given in the Installation Guide

bye

sid

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sid,

Could you tell me what exactly went wrong?

I am guessing that the creme loaded and MI did not start ...

If that is the case could you please copy the contents of jscpout.txt which is found on the root folder of the device and paste it in your reply.

If it is another issue, let me know and we will figure it out!

Regards,

Karthik

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Karthik,

Have you ever successfully installed MI on the SD card? I have been very unsuccessful doing it and the client only has these devices. Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.

-wael

waoudi@gmail.com

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Wael,

We performed some tests recently.

We were successfully able to install MI using SD card with the AWT framework, We have had some problems when using it with the JSP framework. The application war does not get extracted when it is deployed. You can setup the device completely on RAM and then move it to an SD card and it should work fine. I am not sure if that is the best thing to do though as SAP does not officially support an SD card.

Best Regards,

Karthik

Former Member
0 Kudos

Do you have an updated list of directions for the installation? Can we install only the database on the SD card?

-wael

Message was edited by:

Wael Aoudi