Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transports in PI System

ajjunit84
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hello All,

Can you please suggest me the options for Client and Transports in PI system.

Basically we are planning just one client in PI system in all landscapes (Dev-TEST-QAS-PROD).

Does PI need some kind of communication or Data from ERP ,CRM ,BI system??

What about the Java Objects or XI object which are required to be transported??

Found something like manual transports and CMS.

We have no plans for NWDI??

Pls suggest how we should approach this!!

Regards

Ajay

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ajay,

I do not think using a single PI instance is a good idea. Please tell us in brief about ur landscape...may be we can give u some suggestions..

As far as transports are concerned, we have concepts like creating Business System Groups and transport targets to make our lives easier.

I came across few blog on PI transport process..hope it helps:

/people/sravya.talanki2/blog/2005/11/02/overview-of-transition-from-dev-to-qa-in-xi

/people/sap.india5/blog/2005/11/03/xi-software-logistics-1-sld-preparation

/people/sap.india5/blog/2005/11/09/xi-software-logistics-ii-overview

/people/sap.india5/blog/2005/11/28/xi-software-logistics-solution-iii-cms

Regards,

Puneet

ajjunit84
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hello All,

Thanks for your response and sorry for late reply.

Suggestions are very valuable and i think most of you are recommending CTS+

Ok here is more information

PI 7.1 on Windows ,there is no central SLD since the Prod will be separated geographically.

Landscape

Dev-->TesT->QAS->Prod

My questions

1.How many clients should i create..in my previous experience with PI 7.1 we used only 001 client and didn't created any additional client.

2.Since Central SLD is not there (and i don't think is central SLD is there ,we don;t need to transport the XI object ,,pls correct me in this as well) ,should we use the manual way of export and import or go for CTS+ ..

Solution Manager is not into picture yet.

Regards

Ajay

Former Member
0 Kudos

A jay,

My questions :

1.How many clients should i create..in my previous experience with PI 7.1 we used only 001 client and didn't created any additional client.

-

> Depends upon usage...SAP suggest to make the client copies of original one '000' .

Understanding the clients 000, 001 and 066 : check out the topic under basis section in saptechnical url .

2.Since Central SLD is not there (and i don't think is central SLD is there ,we don;t need to transport the XI object ,,pls correct me in this as well) ,should we use the manual way of export and import or go for CTS+ ..

Solution Manager is not into picture yet.

-

> Not sure, though Go for CTS+ , you can use Export /Import any time no big deal. Nothing extra to do .

Regards ,

ajjunit84
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

Regards

Ajay

Former Member
0 Kudos

Have a good day !!

Edited by: Puneet Singhal on Nov 26, 2009 2:32 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

!!

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

KennethEriksen
Participant
0 Kudos

I would also recommend CTS, as that can be used for both ABAP and Java/XI-objects such as IR/ID objects and changelists. CTS can be setup in PI-landscape only, or in your central transport domain i.e. Solution Manager. The CTS+ keeps track of your transports much better than file export/import.

The SLD will contain all your business systems for all environments (Dev, Tst, Qas and Prd) and transport targets assigned to each. When transporting using CTS+ the business systems will be automatically updated from i.e BS1_Dev to BS1_Tst based on information in SLD and the transport targets for Integration Directory objects. You would still need to manually maintain CC-specifics in the target environment after transport.

CTS+ does not depend on NWDI.

See http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw70/helpdata/en/9a/775de286874bc78dcb1470bc80f0f9/frameset.htm for more information on CTS+.

Regards,

Kenneth

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

The design Objects are transported one system to other system using file transport method

Choose export the Design Objects from the tools menu.

Choose the source (The Software Component Version)

Mode can be "Transport using File System"

Check "Download File to Client"

Then Select the objects for example "All objects of a Software Component Version"

Then is would start exporting to the location you specifiy.

After the export is over, you can import this into the target TEST, QA, PRD by using tools-> import Design objects.

Note:

Connection to ECC is not necessary duting transport. However after transaport, for testing the connection should be established.

In SLD, technical systems and business systems should be created.

In ID, objects should point to exact system for which testing is needed. All the ID objects should be manually created like Sender Agreement, Receiver Agreement, Receiver Determiantion, Interface Determination.

The other option is CTS+

Regards

Monika

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

For transporting PI objects we can use either CMS or CTS or file transport as already said above CTS+ is recommended by sap...as there are lot of benefits for the same..like target assignments of business systems can be done...

e.g in D business system used is BS_SYS_D in q you want BS_SYS_Q..so these kind if associations can be done with help of target assignments also..tracking of Transport requests can be done...

for ABAP objects to transport need to use se09 for creating a request and remaining process is same like for other objects...

HTH

Rajesh

former_member200962
Active Contributor
0 Kudos
Does PI need some kind of communication or Data from ERP ,CRM ,BI system??

Not while transporting...but after transport proper changes should be made in the CC....and these changes are required to point to the corresponding instance of the end system....if objects are in QA then the CC should also point to QA of the end system and so on..

What about the Java Objects or XI object which are required to be transported??
Found something like manual transports and CMS.

Which version of PI are you on...is it 7.1....if yes then opt for CTS+ ... even recommended by SAP....CTS+ can even be used for 7.0 just that SP compatibility should be taken into account.

Regards,

Abhishek.