Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ods to cube model

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gurus,

i have a data modeling requirement.the scenario is like

7 ODS objects loading the data into 1 cube(0pu_c02).

can i remove these ODS Objects from the flow and directly attaching the related info sources to the cube.

the flow is like this

data source-->info source->ODS----->CUBE

INSTEAD I WANT TO DO

data source-->info source--->CUBE

LIKE THIS.

can anybody suggest me what r the advantages and the disadvantages in this model.

first of all i want to know whether it is possible r not.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

The main difference here is: in case of using ODS you enable delta functionality (delta load from ODS to cubes).

Without ODS and not delta-capable datasource you'll have to have only full load, not delta.

Best regards,

Eugene

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sridhar,

It is always better to load the data first to ODS and then to Cube .

Advantages :

1. U can always store ganular level detail at the ODS and then Store the Aggregated data to Cube , so that reporting is faster in Cube and when they want to see detail data u can use RRI functionality.

2. Maintenance of Cube is better as u can change and data needed will always be present in the ODS.

3. If datasource only supports After IMage or New IMage then u need to have ODS for enabling Delta to Cube .

Disadvantages :

1. ODS Maintenance.

2. Table Space problems .

3. Loading Problems ( Some times ...)

Regards,

Vijay.

Assign points if it helps.....

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gurus,

thanks for your replies.i got the solution.

i am working on Netweaver 2004s version.so i wanted to know how to approch in this version.Claudio Caforio's solution and the link is very much helpful to people who are working on this version.

thank you

sridhar

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi sri

you can go for both the staging senarious. each has its own advantage.

Use a staging scenario without O D S levels if you can work without the advantages of an O D S object (cleansing, transforming, consolidating, integrating data from different processes, level of detail of information, durability of the data). This applies in particular if the system already guarantees the integrity of the data (CO-PA, General Ledger) and therefore works without saving the consolidated data explicitly in BW, or if the data is extracted from a single source system.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sridar,

what you search is here:

/message/1454327#1454327 [original link is broken]

(expecially in the last part of the thread!)

Hope this helps!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sridhar,

It is possible, if all the datasources supports addition and your requirement.

By using ODS you can load data in addition or in overwrite mode, but for CUBE you can load only in addition.

For more info, have a look:

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/en/84/81eb588fc211d4b2c90050da4c74dc/content.htm

Hope it Helps

Srini

Message was edited by: Srini