cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Input Help for Read Only Inputfield

tom_peng
Explorer
0 Kudos

I have a requirement where an inputfield should be grayed-out so the user can't simply type whatever they want into the field. However, the user should still be able to change the value of the inputfield via the input help (F4). After searching around in the forums, I see that the only way to do this is to use a custom input help (as opposed to DDIC or OVS). I've done that, and it works fine when the inputfield is open. However, as soon as I set the inputfield to "Read Only", the input help button goes away.

How do I get the input help button to stay even though the field is set to "Read Only"?

Thanks,

Tom Peng

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

tom_peng
Explorer
0 Kudos

Thanks everybody for the replies. I tried unchecking "Enabled", but this had the same effect as checking "Read Only" -- the button for the input help dropdown disappeared.

According to Thomas Jung on this thread, input help on a read-only field is possible:

Has anyone gotten it to work?

Thanks,

Tom

thomas_jung
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

We used to allow the value help to be triggered even when the field was in display only mode. It would open the value help dialog, but you couldn't copy any values back. There are even some older OSS notes that talk about places where this was a problem because it accidentally allowed you to copy values back (1173390, 971256, 996070). This used to allow you to use a Freely Programmed Value (whihc has direct access to the source context) to still update the read-only field. However at some point (perhaps as a fix to one of the above OSS notes), SAP has changed the rendering works and no longer allows any value help to fire for a disabled or read-only field.

Answers (6)

Answers (6)

tom_peng
Explorer
0 Kudos

Very helpful, Thomas. Thanks for the (impressively quick) response. I will close down this thread now. Thanks to everyone who answered.

anand_nidamanuru
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Thomas,

There is no straight way to do this. All the F4 will be disabled if the input field is read only.

The only suggestion could be make it read only without any input help, now place a button next to the input field.

Throw a popup upon click of this button. User once selects the value from popup , it can be populated to the input field using coding.

Thanks,

Anand

Chaitanya_Priya
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have a requirement where an inputfield should be grayed-out so the user can't simply type whatever they want into the field.

If the user shouldnot enter the data what ever he wants in input field ,you can use foreign key check ,

So that it throws an error message, when use enters the data other than the values in F4 help.

So with out making the field read only you can solve the problem.

Priya

Former Member
0 Kudos

For your purpose , you can check out this link

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

With read only field, F4 help will not work.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I don't think it will be possible to use a field to enter data if its set to "Read only" . May be you can leave the field open for entering data and put checks on the field when you save the data of the table/alv.