cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The useful case for Ocasionally Connected

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello experts.

Now I try to gather the information about Netweaver Mobile for customer.

And I want to hear what is the advantage of occasionally connected architecture.

I've already known that mobile device could have the data inside itself and customer can work with off-line in case of occasionally connected, but most cases of real customer using mobile devices seem to be in case of always connected without any data on mobile.

Is my understanding incorrect?

Could anyone tell me the concrete use case with occasionally connected architecture, I think mostly for Laptops and PDAs?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi ,

Adding to the above, the usecases of few of the customers are sales executives visting customer places taking orders.

In certain cases , the ERP/ BE application will send the required info of the customers he/she has to visit in a day. Once this info reaches his device, he goes to the field , takes new orders directly to the client application in his device and when he comes back to office, synchronizes the device with DOE to send all these data to the BE. This helps substantialy in keeping the data in sync without manually taking orders in paper and then keying-in to the BE system at the end of the day, also efficiently helping the sales force for planning a days activities.

Similarly, customers will place service requests for equipments over the phone , say a call centre for example. These service requests will be collected in the BE system and distributed to the technician with right skills via DOE (the details of the service requests that he has to attend in that day will reach the technician's device with a sync) . The technician will visit many customer places and completes the SR or updates the SR and at the end of the day syncs with DOE from the office.

Regards,

Liji

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks, for everyone.

My image for using Occasionally connceted become more clear.

If there is another case, please provide.

former_member206242
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

Adding to all the above the basic idea here is mobilizing business case with requirements for both offline n online mode.

Asynchronous tasks with a client (occasional connected) provides many rich features than a online client. Also mobile users need not to sync everything stored locally. There can be use cases where local data is required.

And of course a major factor is seamless connectivity and more advantages in terms of capabilities for a occasional connected client.

Regards,

Nipun

Former Member
0 Kudos

Many thanks.

Could you tell me the concrete use case, if you have.

Former Member
Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Amit,

Many thanks for your help.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Here's an interesting read on MSDN, about occasionally connected smart clients:

[http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms998482.aspx]

Former Member
0 Kudos

It really depends on the kind of connectivity you have.

1. If your users are going to travel, they are bound to lose connectivity temporarily, at some point or the other. Maybe they are going to be offline for days on end (e.g. say your users are going to visit places which simply have no connectivity at all)

2. If bandwidth is low, or costly to obtain, then you might find it cheaper if the users work on their mobile device all day, and then sync ALL the changes at the end of the day.

Its overall 'nice' if the user does not have to be bothered about whether he/she is 'connected' or not. The user continues to work, and the device takes care of syncing as and when a connection becomes available.