cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transparent Data Encryption

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Guys,

We want to protect our data in Oracle database, we decided to encyript data at database level using Transparent Data Encryption.

There are some prerequisites for using TDE with SAP. (please see SAP Note# 974876)

We are running on SAP R/3 Enterprise Edition with Oracle.

Our Kernel level is 6.40 and Basis Release is 6.20 Support Pack 65.

SAP Note 974876 tells that it must be at least Basis 6.40 Support Pack 22.

However we still want to implement TDE to our SAP environment. Is there anybody applied TDE with SAP Basis 6.20?

How does it affect SAP Data Dictionary?

If you guys have any ideas please discuss about it...

Regards,

S. Oyman

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> However we still want to implement TDE to our SAP environment. Is there anybody applied TDE with SAP Basis 6.20?

It's not supported.

From a technical runtime perspective it should work, however, support package installations and/orupgrades, as also mentioned in the note, are problematic if the DDIC is unaware of encrypted data and so may fail.

> If you guys have any ideas please discuss about it...

Upgrade your system.

4.7 is out of maintenance since march 2009. I doubt that SAP will ever backport those DDIC changes (if at all possible) to the old 6.20 releases.

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you Marcus,

It was my only concern that if we have any problem when applying Support packs or for SAP Upgrade.

As you know we will encrypt the columns and I think we can decrypt the columns as well. Guess it is reversible.

So before upgrade we may decrypt columns and my guess it should work, but still not sure 100%.

Yes it looks like upgrade is only solution that we can be safe.

Regards,

S. Oyman