cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Memory recommendation for SM 7 EHP 1

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear experts,

I'm installing a new Solution Manager instance for testing purpose. The platform information is:

Windows 2003 x64, 4 CPUs, 7GB Memory

SQL server 2008

I'm getting outofmemory error during J2EE engine start up and I can see that physical memory on server is exhausted. I suppose that the default ABAP and Java instance parameters are not suitable for the amount of memory that is available. I tweaked some parameter but the problem is still there.

Can you tell me what memory related parameters should be used in ABAP and Java to avoid this? Is there any place that I can find there recommendations?

Regards,

Masoud

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

- HOw much swap do you have configured?

- What Java version do you use?

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Markus,

I'm using SUN JDK 1.4.2_24 and J2EE 701 which comes with Solution Manager EHP 1.

SWAP size is configured at 4Gb. I haven't changed this so I guess it is the default setting.

Masoud

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> I'm using SUN JDK 1.4.2_24 and J2EE 701 which comes with Solution Manager EHP 1.

Ok.

> SWAP size is configured at 4Gb. I haven't changed this so I guess it is the default setting.

Please read the installation guide, you need at least 20 GB swap for a 64bit system.

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Markus.

I could not find this in the inst guide but increased the swap size to 20Gb.

But are there any recommendations for minimum/optimum memory config based on my hardware?

Regards,

Masoud

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> I could not find this in the inst guide but increased the swap size to 20Gb.

What guide do you have?

In the official installation guide (http://service.sap.com/instguides) there's a chapter 2.3.2 "2.3.2Requirements for a Central System" which lists (amongst others)

Minimum disk space

Minimum RAM

Paging file size

etc.

Markus

former_member204746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

7GB of RAM looks fine. I would set PHYS_MEMSIZE to 3000 in your SAP profile. Read SAP note 88416.

Answers (0)