cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Document Part for Doc Versions

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Experts,

We are migrating data from a legacy system to DMS. The requirment is such that documents can undergo versions. So accordingly we enabled Versioning for the document type in DC10. But now we have come across the legacy data such that the versions may also sub versions.

To explain, I have DIR which has 3 versions 00, 01 & 02. Now for version 02, sub version also exists. I tried using 'Document Part' to accomodate this sub version of 02. But when i enter Doc Part as 001 and version as 02 and press enter, the system is automatically taking Version as 00. It is not allowing to create Doc Part for Version 02 unless it is created for versions 00 & 01.

Is it possible to create Doc Part directly for the required version? If you any other solution for the above requirement pl suggest...

thanks

sandeep

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ravi,

Thanks for your quick response..

I have certain characteristics defined for the DIR. So when i say version and sub version, these characteristic values will change. I need to capture these as well along with the Originals

And we have already started migration of legacy data. The legacy data are in Excel files..the Upload tool will read from excel file and creates DIR in DMS. (The present config for doc type has version : 00 -99.)

And only now we are encountering sub versions in the legacy data.....pl give ur thought on this...

thanks

sandeep

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Document parts subdivide a document into several documents. So using document part for subversion wont be correct, as each subversion might be a complete document.

Cant you use 'Version Number Increment' and customize the version numbering to incorporate revision within the version number.

e.g if you setup version numbering as A1--Z9. a,b,c..can be versions and 1, 2, 3...can be revisions... There are various ways you can setup this numbering.

check: http://help.sap.com/saphelp_erp60_sp/helpdata/en/e8/7e7e02663611d1949200a0c92f024a/content.htm

Regards

Surjit

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

Thanks for all the support

This problem is solved (OSS message was also raised..)

Solution:

In DC10 for the document type i had enabled 'Version Assignment'. Due to this it was not allowing directly to create Doc part for the version you want. So I unchecked this version assginment and i am able to get the desired result.

@ Surjit,

I agree with you abt doc parts...but i think dont have any other option. I checked your option of using Alpha numeric versioning. Since the legacy data has versioning upto 70, A to Z will not be enough. This option would have suit the requirement if the versioning was within A to Z range..

regards

sandeep

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sandeep,

If there is no document part created fior any of the DIR, the system will defaultly take the initial version, if we try to give the part number manually also.

So, I would suggest you to kindly go for the option of content version.

Do not create versions for any change, rather go for the content versions. and if ther is any sub versions then go for the document part with the same DIR number and with the same version.

So your versions are also captured as content versions and also the subversions are also captured as document part.

Just see how it works on your end.

Let me know if any confussion.

Refer this link for Content Version.

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_47x200/helpdata/en/bd/2e3a94126011d3951f00a0c92f024a/frameset.htm

Regards,

Ravi