cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows Server 2008 Upgrade

maryjane_steele2
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Our upgrade partner is pushing an upgrade to the OS versus a fresh install, followed by a system copy. My CIO likes this solution because it will reduce the number and length of outages. I'm not keen on the idea because I've never heard good things about upgrading the OS, espeically on a SAP system. Does anyone have experience with upgrading thier OS to Windows Serve 2008?

We are are currently running Windows 2003 and as part of the upgrade will be moving to new hardware in a VM environment. You're experiences would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> We are are currently running Windows 2003 and as part of the upgrade will be moving to new hardware in a VM environment. You're experiences would be much appreciated. Thanks!

I'd also not upgrade a Windows system, reinstalling with a homogeneous system copy would be the clear approach. If you upgrade, you'd need to make sure you have all the drivers for disks, CPUs, boards etc. in place during the upgrade. This can be a pretty complicated and sometimes impossible approach.

If you go for virtualization keep in mind that Oracle is not supported on virtualized platforms.

Markus

former_member204746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

you best solution is to migrate on new hardware and install win2008 on this new server. When ready, all you will have to do is migrate database and a few SAP files.

If your database is locates on a SAN, your outage could be less than 15 minutes.

This is what I did when I switch from Windows 2003 32bit to a new machine with Windows 2003 64-bit. I prepared my new machine to be ready to receive the database. then I shutdown the source, ask my SAN admin to migrate SAN disks to the new machine. This took him roughly 3 minutes! then, I restart on new machine.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I don't think it's possible to upgrade WIN2K3 server to windows 2008 in SAP environment.

Refer SAP note 1054740. Best way is system copy. Do a backup of your existing system. Then delete the SAP system including windows 2003 server. Install a new windows 2008 server and perform a system copy.

Also you need to keep in mind windows 2008 server is not supported on 32 bit.

Regards,

Sachin Rane.