cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ABAP System down suddenly

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

When ABAP system gets down suddenly what are the logs files to check to find the root cause of the system shutdown and what is first thing to check in the system?Kindly,let me know the things as I'm new to SAP BASIS.Help me regarding this.

Thanks & Regards,

Sandeeep

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Diggeshhjoshi
Contributor
0 Kudos

Sandeep,

See if Work processes are running or not from task manager if it is windows or ps -ef in unix.

Check if database is up and running or not.

Then check the work Directory for error Logs.

Arrange the work directory by last changed date.

Then you will get the latest logs for Error.

dev_disp related to dispatcher

dev_w0,1,2 to see what happened in WP log.

Thanks,

Digesh Joshi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Can you explain clearly how to check the database whether it is up & running are not?Please tell me is there any commands in unix to check the database.The database will be ORACLE 10g.

Thanks & Regards,

Sandeep

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

check the return code of R3trans -d, R3trans -x

ps -eaf⎮grep ora

ps -eaf⎮grep pmon

connect to oracle database from SQL Plus as sysdba

SQL> select status from v$instance;

Regards,

Gerd

alen_mikulic
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

The system can go down for various reasons, few are quoted below I can immediately think of.

-

OS level

• check all SAP and DB file systems/ disk drives are available and visible.

• Check the file systems are not full especially the oracle archive logs, datafile, sapdata.

• Check the dev_*, files and take a backup of these files as they would become *.old files after an attempt to startup SAP.

• Check the process of SAP are running dw* or disp+work

• If you are not able to connect through sapgui - check through the cmd prompt or os prompt the dpmon if some work process in SAP are running or in stopped status.

• Check if the R3trans -d connect is succesful, if not then db connectivity is an issue.

*check OS system logs, event viewer(system & application) if there is any significant ones.

• check if your cpu, memory usage is not abnormal and not reaching 100% levels.

• check if you are able to ping the host and if the network connectivity between server and user location is not the problem.

-

DB Level

• Check the db service is running or the process is running (pmon, ora*)

• check the db alert logs for any problems there such as any corruption, recovery.

• check the db connectivity using basic tests.(sql connect)

-

SAP Level

• Check all application servers are running and it might be if one app server is down.

-

Cheers Sam

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Mainly you need to check the

R3trans -d,

ps -ef | grep <SID>

please check the log directory

Please check the

ps -ef | grep ora

ps -ef | grep pmon