cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Java and SAP

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all:

Just wondering if someone could advise me on the following: I’m quite new to SAP and wish to look at moving my Java skills into the SAP development arena; therefore do most individuals create apps in the workbench or can applications be developed in say Borland and then ported into the SAP environment? I haven’t seen the Java environment within NetWeaver yet, however does on need to become familiar with and/or have an understanding of ABAP before you can apply your Java development skills?

Thanks

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Oliver,

SAP now offers SAP Netweaver (which is a web-based, open integration and application platform) which has many components like Enterprise Portal, SAP XI, BW etc etc.

Now see this diagram, and you will see that at the bottom

you have Application Platform which supports both Java and ABAP. This application platform is SAP WAS (Web Application Server)which forms foundation for all components mentioned here

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04s/helpdata/en/30/c4461ff69d5a438f1286e344b545fa/content.htm

Now it actually depends on which area you want to move to. Like Enterprise Portal development needs Java skills and you can actually use Netweaver development to environment to create your applications.

Infact you can develop and deploye J2EE applications as well.

Infact I too don't know ABAP well and have significantly contributed to Portal Development projects. So, in short you dont need ABAP knowledge for all arenas of SAP.

Let me know if u want to understand this in detail.

Regards,

Piyush

ps: please mark useful answers.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Oliver,

SAP WebAS is a descent J2EE engine that implements majority of J2EE 1.4 standards. Also SAP NW IDE is very comfortable development environment and has support for majority of J2EE projects (WAR, EJB, WebServices etc.)

You do not need to learn ABAP to apply your J2EE skills in SAP environment.

Valery Silaev

EPAM Systems

http://www.NetWeaverTeam.com