cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error at phase 36 starting java during new install

Former Member
0 Kudos

My installation fails because java will not start at the installation phase. Looking in F:\usr\sap\LSP\DVEBMGS00\work the only error I can find is in dev_jcontrol file and is-

[Thr 4596] [Node: bootstrap] java home is set by profile parameter

Java Home: C:\j2sdk1.4.2_24-x64

[Thr 4596] *** ERROR => JStartupIGetJDKInfo: Cannot find Java class file [./JdkDetection_5728.class]. [jstartxxi.c 1017]

[Thr 4596] *** ERROR => can't get JDK information (rc = -1) [jstartxxi.c 1257]

[Thr 4596] **********************************************************************

• ERROR => JDK Detection failed.

• Please see SAP Note 943602 , section 'JDK detection issues'

• for additional information and trouble shooting.

[Thr 4596] *** ERROR => can't read bootstrap node properites (rc=-1) [jcntrxx.c 1282]

[Thr 4596] JControlCloseProgram: started (exitcode = -1)

[Thr 4596] JControlCloseProgram: good bye... (exitcode = -1)

I've run through the analysis in note 940893(note 943602 mentioned above redirects you to this note) and it stil will not start. I've changed the java version to the latest available as per note 718901 and 716604 but it still isn't starting. Does anyone have any idea's?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I understand that this thread is marked "answered" - but I was unable to solve the installation issue with the solution(s) provided in this thread. Hence I am posting here what I did that worked for me.

Sapinst stopped at step 35 (or 36) - "Start Java engine"

jcontrol would not start and dev_jcontrol shows this error message - "JdkDetection_nnnn.class not found"

Our environment:

Windows 2003

Oracle 10.2.0.4

Solution Manager 7.01 EhP1 SR3

JDK - 1.4.2_24 rev-b06

JAVA_HOME=D:\java\j2sdk1.4.2_24

ORACLE_HOME=D:\oracle\SID\102

SAPEXE=D:\usr\sap\SID\SYS\exe\uc\NTAMD64

checked SAP notes:

943602 Analysis of errors within the startup of J2EE Engine 7.0

940893 Analysis of errors within the startup of J2EE Engine 6.40

718901 How to change the JDK of the J2EE Engine

817991 Startup Framework fails when starting a JLaunch process

741289 Profile parameters of the J2EE Engine are lost

943498 J2EE Engine does not start 6.40 and 7.0

There were some solutions that suggested giving "ALL" permissions to the SIDADM and SAPServiceSID users to the disk drives that we are installing the software on - we did that as well, but it did not help us. Java engine won't just start. jcontrol would just die with the same error.

After spending enormous number of hours sifting through very few documents found on this error - I got fed up and here is what I did when I got the "JdkDetection_nnnn.class not found" error:

1. Logged in to the server as SIDADM

2. Opened a windows command prompt

3. ran this command -- jcontrol pf=D:\usr\sap\SID\SYS\profile\SID_DVEBMGS00_hostname

4. waited for 15mins

5. Restarted sapinst

6. Continued successfully

I am thinking that jcontrol was having a difficult time to start for the first time at Step 35 (or 36) during sapinst. When I started it on the command line with just the profile as the parameter - it pulled in all the required configuration from the database and started the dispatcher and server successfully. After that - installation went on smoothly.

Hope this helps.

Sri

Former Member
0 Kudos

After checking all the settings and trying the latest JDK nothing seemed to work so I looked at permissions. I set permission to the JDK folder for the SAPService and ADM users but this didn't seem to work so I gave both those users full permissions to the route of the OS drive which effectively gives those users full access to the whole drive and all sub folders. I restarted SAP and the java instance started ok.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Chris,

Please refer Note 941595 - Download J2SE 1.4.2 for the x64 platform

Regards

Syed Shoeb Hussaini

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Chris,

There might many reasons for the below error.

Try these.

1. Simply restart the installation

2. Try Reinstalling the JDK and restart the installation.

3. Delete .vmprop file and restart the installation.

Let us know the result.

Best Regards

Raghu

Former Member
0 Kudos

Raghu, I've tried restarting the install several time as I've been trying different things. I've reinstalled the JDK and updated it to the lates version. I've just tried deleting the .vmprop and restarting the install but it still fails with the same error. Is there anything else you can think of?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Chris,

Please revert with below details.

OS/DB, Product and Version of SAP being installed.

Cheers...,

Raghu

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Raghu,

Windows server 2003 SP2 64bit

SQL 2008 SP1 64bit

Solution manager EHP1

Hope this helps!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Chris,

It seems that the jlaunch cannot start the bootstrap process of the server because the javapath property is lost.

Please firstly check that the JAVA_HOME is correctly set and the javac.exe exists. Also check the access permissions for the JDK folders

If this is correct, try to add the following parameter to the instance profile (via RZ10): jstartup/vm/home = <JAVA_HOME> Here you have to specify the proper path to the java installation.

Then restart the complete instance and check if the engine starts successfully.

Last try to reinstall the JDK.

Also could you move the java entry in the PATH environment variable to the begining.

Regards,

Ventsi Tsachev

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ventsi,

JAVA_HOME is set correctly and javac.exe exists and executes. The permissions to the folders looks ok. jstartup/vm/home is also setin profile parameters and I have tried to reinstall the JDK but nothing seems to work. ABAP starts up fine but java has the same problems as I have originaly posted.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

what version oj java SDK.JDK you running.

Mark