cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error during system copy - Export Java phase - Out of memory error

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am attempting to perform a homgeneous system copy as part of a windows 2008 system upgrade.

Dual stack CRM 7.0 NW 7.01 on windows 2003 64bit with SQL 2005.

I have done this process ~ten-12 times in the last six months, every time I have to adjust the Xmx variable from 1024 to 2048 MB in the control.xml file.

I get an out of memory error everytime.

Last time I had to adjust that same variable to almost 8GB before the process would complete; but it did complete.

This last time I tried to set the -Xmx=12000, but it still fails with the error: (From jload.log)

15.11.09 10:48:48 com.sap.inst.jload.Jload printSQLException

SEVERE: Message: The system is out of memory. Use server side cursors for large result sets:null. Result set size:-820,342,860. JVM total memory size:8,593,121,280.

During the process I actually see the Java virtual memory go over 10.5 GB in the windows task manager but then it drops back down and fails.

THis adjusting of -Xmx in the control file was suggested by SAP previously. I also tried to set the -Xms, -Xmx both to 12gb no luck

It appears as if it will not use more than 8gb from the error message.

My windows ended for last weekend so I will be trying again this weekend. SAP has suggested getting the latest version of Java j2sdk1.4.2_24-x64 currently I am on version j2sdk1.4.2_21-x64. I don't have a lot of confidence in that answer and would like to have a few more options for this upcoming weekend when I try to run again.

Also any idea what could make the Java get so big? We are runnning very small systems for SMB clients and minimal java dev has been done - we are running ecommerce on this server but seems a bit huge to me.

THanks for any and all help,

Matt

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Matt Olbrych,

I am not sure, what's the method you are following ofcourse using system copy.

But I can share my experience if you think it's feasible please try with that method.

1. Export only SCS Central Instance (Software Life-cycle options->System Copy->MS SQL Server->High Availability System->Central Instance Export); this creates just 10-12 MB file (depend on your SDM content)

2. Then Import

a. Ensure DB Installed

b. Ensure JDK installed

c. Ensure Environment Mental Variables are in tackt

d. Perform ASCS installation

e. Then 1st cluster node installation (by login to node A of your cluster)

f. Database instance installation

g. Additional MSCS node installation (by login to node B of your cluster)

h.Then Central Instance installation and this is where installation ask for your 'Export' path to continu

i. you are done now with all preparation work...at this stage you have both your old & new systems are up and active in diff. hardware (ensure such that system names, IP Address etc are not same as your existing system)

3. now you need to proceed with Upgradation - by choosing startup.bat from UPG folder

a. You got provide with all your upgrade CDs path

b. you continue with installation as normal as you do

4. Ensure while you do the DB instalaltion, you are using your existing system database (i.e back & restore)

5. Using this method, we build PI 7.1 and Solution Manager 7.1 from it's earlier versions.

Using this method, you do not require much memory and hopeful you do not get into issues.

Yes, this is diff. approach but SAP recognized approach.

Regards

Sekhar