cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General SAP script/printer query

Former Member
0 Kudos

General questions about output types.

I have a issue where a output is generated and sent to SOST to be emailed. BUt should the user later require to rpint this, they go to SOST display the output in the usual SAP print view format, and then choose to print the output. They chose printer LOCAL, but an error occurs saying: "Output device LOCL is not type PDF1".

Our basis guy is passing it off as a SAP script issue, and that the printer setup is fine.

So where does it make the distinction that this output is PDF1, and is it the case the printer is not setup to handle PDF?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

brad_bohn
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

So where does it make the distinction that this output is PDF1, and is it the case the printer is not setup to handle PDF?

To answer your actual question, check the communication settings for the condition records for the output type. If you use the basic settings, your comm setting probably has 'ANZ' as the comm strategy, which means try INT (email/internet) first, then FAX. Take a look at transaction SCOT. Your SMTP node will have a sub-node 'INT'. Double-click on SMTP, then click 'Set' next to Internet. This will identify PDF as the output format for SAPScript/Smartforms. If you go back to SCOT, then Settings -> Device Types..., you'll probably see that PDF + EN is set for device type PDF1. Your Basis person should have known this...

Now, since your output was formatted with this device type, you must use a compatible device type for direct printing. LOCL has device type SAPWIN which is not compatible. There are ways to get around it such as using a compatible printer. Personally, I like having my team do the conversion in the code and so you can see the PDF attachment in the SOST queue with the mail instead of a spool-like preview, then you can print directly without issue. Or, you can also go back to the business object and print the hardcopy from there, e.g., the 'NEU' method '1' for a PO. This seems to be the better approach than trying to find the e-mail in the queue.

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Brad, that has pretty much nailed it, I'll score shortly. But can you tell me how you actually code it so that you see the attachement and the email.

brad_bohn
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Depends on whether or not you're using a custom output program and which form technology. The comm strategy and auto-conversion is the simplest approach, but it's not the one I typically use because you have more flexibility with creating the mail and attachment yourself in the output program (and you don't get that printer issue). You can still use method '5-External send' but you need a custom output program which follows the usual method of creating a spool, converting the spool to PDF and then attaching the PDF to an e-mail using the CL_BCS class. I wrap the latter two steps in a custom e-mail sending class with multiple static methods that makes it easier.

NAeda
Contributor
0 Kudos

"Output device LOCL is not type PDF1". check the device type ,

you have to use PDF related device type for that particular printer,

go to SPAD check device types

rgds

Aeda

Former Member
0 Kudos

When they are trying to reprint, ask them to use Printer "Local PDF1". This printer will have Device type PDF1 and should be able to print without any error message.