cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Generic Extraction using FM or ABAP Query

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I have a question here. Which one is more feasible and versatile among Generic extraction using Function module or ABAP Query populated with ABAP Program ?

ur inputs highly appreciated.

Thanks in Advance,

Rash

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

since also FM extraction with generic datasources is possible I prefer to use the FM instead of the ABAP Query. With ABAP Query I had the experience that we go problems because the ABAP Query did not offer automatic data packaging. This led to high memory requirements during extraction.

With FM you can handle the data in packages within the function module.

Check out if this restriction for ABAP Queries is still valid with your BW release.

Regards

Adios

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi..

Choose Extraction from Query

, if you want to use a SAP query InfoSet as the data source. Select the required InfoSet from the InfoSet catalog.

Notes on Extraction using the SAP Query:
http://help.sap.com/saphelp_bw32/helpdata/en/5a/1b8c3e94243446e10000000a114084/content.htm

After generation, you now have a DataSource whose extract structure matches the InfoSet.

You can find additional information about maintaining InfoSets in the SAP Query documentation (Help ® SAP Library ® Basis/SAP Web Application Server ® ABAP Workbench ® SAP Query -> System Management).

Choose Extraction using FM

, if you want to extract data using a function module. Enter the function module and extract structure.

The data must be transferred by the function module in an interface table E_T_DATA.

Interface Description and the Extraction Process:http://help.sap.com/saphelp_bw32/helpdata/en/86/1c8c3e94243446e10000000a114084/content.htm

You can find information about the Function Library in the Basis documentation (Help ® SAP Library ® Basis/SAP Web Application Server ® ABAP Workbench ® ABAP Workbench: Tools).

hope it help u understand better.

Hope it helps!

Bye,

Dhanya

(and please don't forget to reward the answers if of any help...it's a way to say thanks )