cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connecting to XMII's database via XMII

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

I was attempting to create a connection under Data Services->Data Servers to XMII's database so I can directly access it within XMII. However, I can't seem to create the connection properly as the Connection Status tells me I have not set it up correctly. I am unsure exactly what the process is to create the connection and exactly what goes in all the fields but I'm guessing that at the very least my entry into the field "ServerURL" is incorrect. The default value for the field is:

jdbc:inetdae:localhost:1433?database=db&sql7=true

and I'm guessing I have to modify "db" to point to XMII's database but no matter what I try I don't think I am pointing it to the correct place. If anyone can guess where my problem lies or point me in the direction of where to find a good guide on setting up this kind of connection that would be great.

Thanks!

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

HariCS23
Contributor
0 Kudos

Chris -

This link might help in setting up Data server ( IDBC) :

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_xmii115/helpdata/en/System_Management/Lighthammer_CMS_Servers.htm

- Hari

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hey again All,

I've been looking into this problem some more and I can't seem to crack it even with the help people have posted already. I'll attempt to explain step by step how I'm attempting to create the connection:

1) Under Data Services->Data Servers I select the New button.

2) I choose IDBC from the drop down and hit OK.

3) In the Name field, I use the name of my SQL server to identify this connection.

4) Tick of the Enabled check box.

5) JDBC Driver is default: com.inet.tds.TdsDriver

6) In the username and password fields, I enter the same username and password that I use to manually connect to the database when using SQL Server Management Studio.

7) ServerPackage is default: com.sap.xmii.Illuminator.connectors.IDBC

😎 ServerURL is: jdbc:inetdae:localhost:1433?database=<database name>&sql7=true

It's listed as localhost currently as I am attempting to connect to XMII's database but I've also tried grabbing the full computer name found in "My Computer". Also, I've made sure that the SQL server is using the default port of 1433. The database name I use is the one I find when browsing SQL Server Management Studio.

9) Save it.

10) Checking Connection Status shows that it is not set up correctly. Status is "Stopped" and Number of Available/Used Connections are both showing 0.

jcgood25
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

After reading this thread I have some concerns that if you are being challenged to initially create this connection, what are you trying to accomplish by accessing the MII NetWeaver table space directly?

I assume that NetWeaver is running on top of SQLServer. Have you uploaded the necessary JDBC driver? Simply guessing at the 'Stopped' status won't get you very far, what errors are showing up in the NetWeaver logs?

If you looked at the built-in JDBC datasource setup by NW (the one used by MII to talk to its own tables) within Visual Admin the answers to the connection information should be easy to emulate.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hey Jeremy,

In short I need access to XMII's database (more specifically all tables associated with its messaging services) in order to build on and improve XMII's message queueing capabilities as they are lacking for the requirements of our client.

I was not aware of the logging features provided by the Netweaver Administrator tool within XMII and recently got our client to give me access to it. So please bear with me as I am extremely new to SAP products and in most cases I'm learning as I go by poking around in applications and using internet resources when I get stuck.

Upon checking the logs two messages come up when I attempt to create a new connection to the database:

1) An Info message stating:

ACCESS.OK: Authorization check for caller assignment to J2EE security role [SAP-J2EE-Engine : guests].

2) A fatal error:

Unable to create connection to database for <connection name>

Also, under the "Full Record" details it shows "User: Guest"

I'm wondering why both messages are recording the user as "Guest" when I am attempting to use a specific log in name and password when creating my connection.

As for the driver I am using, based on a previous post here and my limited past experience with creating a connection, I thought the default JDBC driver (com.inet.tds.TdsDriver) for SQL Server would serve my purposes. If not, I'm unsure of where to start looking for some other appropriate driver.

With regards to your last suggestion, I am unsure of where Visual Admin is located for Netweaver. Is this a tool in XMII or will I need access to something else?

jcgood25
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Visual Admin is a NetWeaver configuration tool that runs locally on the server, so perhaps the admin can provide you with the details of the default NW datasource connection.

If the server does not have any JDBC drivers uploaded (link available from the Menu.jsp) then you need to do that first.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Jeremy,

Turns out that our client did not properly install the JDBC drivers. I'll update this thread further with the results when they're installed and I get to play around with the connection some more.

Former Member
0 Kudos

As I mentioned before, the drivers were not installed correctly on our client's servers. I've recently gained access to a bit more of the system so I can attempt to correctly install the drivers in order to access XMII's own database using XMII itself. I'm having trouble installing the Microsoft SQL Server JDBC Driver 2.0 located here:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/data/aa937724.aspx

I'm assuming this is the right driver package I need in order to make my connection. The problem with installation I'm having is that I'm unsure of what I need to upload into the System Management->JDBC Drivers table besides the sqljdbc.jar file as the driver package also comes with associated .dlls. I'm assuming the .jar file needs to communicate with the appropriate .dlls in some way and I'm unsure of how that will happen if only the .jar is uploaded and deployed.

jcgood25
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Here is a link that should provide you with what you need (for the data server settings). The single jar file should be all you need: http://www.minq.se/products/dbvis/doc/drivers.jsp#Microsoft_SQL_Server_2005_JDBC_Driver

There is also an SAP Note: https://service.sap.com/sap/support/notes/990322 that provides some insight as well. The system management screen for uploading the driver is used in place of the discussion in the note about the C:\ file system (the note was for 11.5 not 12.x)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks all for the help.

It turns out the problem was with some underlying settings not necessarily associated with MII. Marking the question as answered.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Heres a sample -

jdbc:microsoft:sqlserver://<machinename>;databaseName=<databasename>

Chanti.