cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ways to design universe on OLAP cubes(SAP BW/BI)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I would like to know how many ways we have to design universe on top of OLAP cubes.

I know one way and I followed by creating BEx master query by enabling OLAP check box in properties.

Kindly let me know other ways to do...

Thank You!

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

IngoH
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

technically speaking you have three options:

- create an OLAP Universe against a BW query

- create an OLAP Universe against the InfoCube

- Create a relational Universe using Data Federator

on the first two options you can find the differences in here:

https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/008d15dc-f76c-2b10-968a-fafe5a12...

On the Data Federator options take a look here - keep in mind that it provides a SQL interface which means you will lose multidimensional features like hierarchies:

/people/thomas.zurek/blog/2009/03/06/sql-access-to-bw-via-data-federator

/people/frederic.vanborre/blog/2009/05/07/do-you-want-to-query-sap-bw-using-sql

Ingo

0 Kudos

You can also create a universe on the InfoCube itself without having to create a Bex Query. When you define or edit the connection in Designer, in BexQuery selection step (step 3/4), scroll down the list to the folder ($INFOCUBES). Under that folder you'll see all Cubes you are allowed to access, select the cube you want then next. Your connection will then directly point to that cube, any universe built using that connection will contain all objects of that InfoCube.

Hope this helps

Abdellatif

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes, you're right... Abdellatif...!!

In that approach we have problem with Navigational Attributes of Infocube means we can't see them in Universe classes/objects listings. Am i right??

BTW, it means we have only 2 ways to do:

1. Through Master BEx Query with OLAP enabled access.

2. Directly picking up Infocube.

Thank You!

0 Kudos

You are right, you will not have navigation attributes exposed in the universe when creating a universe off the cube directly.

Regards