cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Redolog file is not showing active

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

We just upgraded BRTOOLS to 640 (51) in our production system; since then redolog file is not showing "ACTIVE".

See the resutls

SQL> select group#, status from v$log;

GROUP# STATUS

-

-

11 INACTIVE

12 INACTIVE

13 CURRENT

14 INACTIVE

SQL>

In the morning aslo it was as above status; we did altered the switch log and one group was showing correctly as ACTIVE and its next group was showing CURRENT but now again it changed to above status.

Can you please let me know why it is not showing status "ACTIVE"

Thanks

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Very good answers with quick response....Great keep it up.

stefan_koehler
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Kasinath,

the official documentation is your friend:

http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14237/dynviews_1150.htm#I1030127

ACTIVE - Log is active but is not the current log. It is needed for crash recovery. It may be in use for block recovery. It may or may not be archived.

So of course, if you perform a logswitch the data is not completely checkpointed and so it is still needed for crash recovery. After a while all the corresponding data is written down to the data files and so the status changes to INACTIVE.

Regards

Stefan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Stefan

Thanks for the quick response

In this case do we need to take any action? This is our production system will there be any issue since one of the redo log is not showing "ACTIVE"

Please let me know.

Thanks

stefan_koehler
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Kasinath,

> In this case do we need to take any action?

You can't do anything about it .. this is a normal behaviour and works as designed.

In case of an oracle database crash .. oracle knows that the redo log files with status ACTIVE / CURRENT are needed for a crash recovery (=complete recovery) and will apply them.

The only case when you are in real trouble is, if your database crashes and you have lost the online redo log files with status ACTIVE and they are not archived until the crash.

But as already mentioned .. oracle is working as designed.

Regards

Stefan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Stefan

My issue is no group is showing "ACTIVE" in four of the redolog groups; that is my concern.

See the details below

SQL> select group#, status from v$log;

GROUP# STATUS

-

-

11 INACTIVE

12 INACTIVE

13 CURRENT

14 INACTIVE

SQL>

As per as I know one group should show as ACTIVE next one should show as CURRENT; in this case ACTIVE group is not showing in above.

Please let me know why it is not showing ACTIVE

Thanks

stefan_koehler
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello,

> As per as I know one group should show as ACTIVE next one should show as CURRENT

Wrong .. if no redo log group (except the CURRENT one) is needed for crash recovery .. then no group has to be ACTIVE.

Regards

Stefan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Stefan

I just wanted to more clear on this.

Our other 3 production systems are showing one group as ACTIVE and next group as CURRENT and other two groups are INACTIVE

Why it is not like that in this case?

stefan_koehler
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Kasinath,

> Why it is not like that in this case?

Because of in your other databases the corresponding buffers are not flushed to the data files until yet (checkpoint not completed).

You can verify this by comparing the SCNs of the data file headers and the SCNs that are covered in the redo log groups.

Regards

Stefan