cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MS SQL Log file are Full

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi gurus, I have installed sap in this server. The Drive <F> is assigned only for log files. The drive capacity is 30gb. But now only 10.00 MB space left in that drive.The MSSQL TRANSACTION log file is around 29GB n more. How do i move the log file or shrink or what i need to do. I alredi have backed up the Log file to a tape.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ram1001,

What's up on the status of this issue?

Regars

Sekhar

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Shekar/ Gurus,

Really thankful your help. I really appreciate it. The problem solved. I have done a full database backup and transaction log backup. I managed to bring down the log file. I also have used the shrink option to bring down. Thank you again. Have a nice day.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ram1001,

That's great to hear.

Regards

Sekhar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ram,

Are you using SQL 2000 or SQL2005?

1)If you are using SQL 2005, log file shirks automatically after a full database backup.

2)If you are using SQL 2000, you need to shirk manually.

Before shrinking the logfile, you need to take a backup for transaction log.

if you take a backup for transaction log, SQL can able to release the unused space from log file.

If you right click on your database, you can find the option "Shirk database"

click on shrink database and select the logfile to shirnk.In this screen you can find actual space occupied by logfile, how much space actually log file is using and how much space it can release from your data base.

Make sure that you have to take log file backup before shrinking the logfile.

As sekhar suggested, follow the link [Configuring the backup plan for logfile|http://www.databasedesign-resource.com/sql-server-maintenance-plan.html]

We should plan and schedule the backup for logfile through Maintenance Plan after installing SAP wtih SQL database.

Thanks & Regards,

Nagendra.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

If not my above suggested method, please follow below

1. Please use your SQL Server Maintenance Planner to configure your backup stragey.

FOr more information on how to configure SQL Maintenance Planner please refer below link

http://www.databasedesign-resource.com/sql-server-maintenance-plan.html

I hope this helps you in finding the right solution.

Regards

Sekhar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi ram1001,

In the SAPDBA database, there is a table called TransLogsDatabases. There is an entry for each database being backed up. Within that table is a column called 'times_to_tape'. The program will backup the TLOG that many times, then delete. Furthermore there is a column called use_backup_date. When this is set to true, it will delete logs that are backupd up N times, and are before the most current full database backup.

For delete condition, If the use_backup_date is not set, then it deletes the TLOG once it's been backed up the specified number of times. So it depends on how often vbackuplog.exe runs.

Regards

Sekhar