Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP ECC 5.0 & BDC recording

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I have read that SAP recommends using BAPIs instead of BDCs in SAP ECC 5.0 onwards.

I've one existing BDC for transaction VBO1 and it is not working in ECC 5.0. The reason is, to create condition records we get a popup to choose a condition type. In previous SAP versions this popup contained a standard list from which appropriate condition type can be picked up. But in ECC 5.0 the available condition types are displayed in a table control on the popup screen. And when I try to record the popup screen, the control is thrown out of the recording.

In short I am unable to record VBO1 in SAP ECC 5.0. Till now I've not started looking for a BAPI for VBO1, and I wanted to fix this through BDC only. Has anybody came across such scenario? If yes is there a way to record this or is there a work around for this?

The last option I would consider is to go for a BAPI. Please let me know if you have the BAPI name right on the tip of your toungue.

Thanks in advance.

VaibhaV

7 REPLIES 7

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi vaibhav,

1. Has anybody came across such scenario

Enjoy transaction like ME23N,

do not support BDC.

2. The reason is that they use

complex screen controls like GRID

which do not support BDC.

3. In that case, SAP recommends to use BAPI only.

4. In future, if there are some screen changes,

in the transasction,

then our BDC won't be COMPATIBLE with the

new screen.

Hence, its always better to use BAPI

(BCOS SAP takes the guarantee for BAPI consistency)

regards,

amit m.

0 Kudos

Hi Amit,

Thanks for the reply. But is there any workaround other than BAPI? Because I had a look at a BAPI BAPI_AGREEMENTS but it does not have adequate interface parameters to pass required information in order to create an customer rebate Agreement.

If BAPI is the only option then I would be interested in in BAPI for creating customer rebate agreements. There are 2 more BAPIs for agreements, but those are for purchasing rebate agreements and not for sales.

Since a substantial development effort will be required to covert from BDC to BAPI approach, I was reluctant to go for it.

Guys need your comments/inputs from your experience.

Thanks again!

VaibhaV

0 Kudos

Vaibhav,

Even if it takes a extra effort its recommended to go to BAPI as you will do away with the upgrade problems (like the ones that you are facing today). BAPI's upgradation will be done by SAP and we don't have to worry about that.

Else, you will have to rewrite the entire BDC and run the risk of program not working in case support packs are applied or upgrade ECC 6.0.

Regards,

Ravi

Note : Please mark the helpful answers

0 Kudos

Hi Ravi,

I agree with the long term benefits of going for the BAPI approach. But as I have mentioned in my my previous post, I could not find any BAPI which will serve the purpose. If anyone knows the BAPI, please let me know.

I still do not have solution to my question ...

Thanks,

VaibhaV

0 Kudos

You can always copy the BAPI that comes closest to your requirement ex:BAPI_AGREEMENTS & put in your changes in the custom BAPI..

Regards,

Suresh Datti

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

Thanks for your views and feedback. I've found a OSS Note (812245 and also one more related note is 311440) which I think will fix the issue. I've not yet got the Note applied but I will update the forum once it works fine.

Regards,

VaibhaV

0 Kudos

Per notes 812245 and 311440, what solution did you deploy?