Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Doubts about the advantages and disadvantages of BEx Analyzer

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi people!

Do you know in specific. What are the advantages and disadvantages of BEx Analyzer?

and Do you know the limitations and scope of the bex analyzer?

Talking about the security issue. What kind of resticciones be applied to end-users to control information. Protecting system

resources and the information that the user uses, not be manipulated.

I hope you could answer my doubts

Ramon

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

there is no problem in bex analyzer only we have limtation on rows . if the rows exceed the output is not displayed.

Regards

sivaraju

4 REPLIES 4

former_member181964
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

This message was moderated.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

there is no problem in bex analyzer only we have limtation on rows . if the rows exceed the output is not displayed.

Regards

sivaraju

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

If you are comparing BEx Analyser with Portal ,there are not much differences in terms of security. Basic difference is Analyser will be executed in the excel and the portal is executed in the Web. Both will be having same kind of authorization for the users since the authorization of the data is based on the authorization objects or Analysis Authorization(new a.o) . So users will be restricted based on the authorization matrix .

Advantage is report will be executed in the excel and you can combine many queries in a single workbook without changing the queries in the query designer. And the limitation is majorly based on the Excel properties. You cannot see more than 65,000+ lines in the excel. But I think this restriction is applicable only till Office 2003.Office 2007 doesnot have this restrictions(i'm not sure,though) .Users will not be alllowed to edit the data globally in the analyser but after saving the data locally they can edit and save ( like a normal excel file) .

Please do let me know if you have any more questions.

Thanks.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi!

The standard BEx BI 3.x tools, is no longer available with the SAP NetWeaver 7.0 BI tools; however, it is part of the SAP BI add-on installation that, by default, will install the BW 3.x tools along with the newer BI 7.0 tools.

We want to prevent unauthorized download of data to excel sheets from users who have installed bex analyzer but are not authorized to do that. Certain users only have to access querys from web and shouldn't have to use reports from bex analyzer.

The only accepted way to access reports for all users is by using web querys published in our intranet. But many users have bex analyzer installed and we don't want that an unauthorized user download data to a excel sheet via bex analyzer.

I'm testing with one user with this roles, but bex web template and bex analyzer have similiar object authorizations, and i don't know if is possible prevent unauthorized download of data from excel sheets.

Final users don't access to bex analyzer by rrmx transaction

Until know i'm testing with this user roles:

1. ZBW:BEX_WEB:RFC (for web templates)

S_RFC:

ACTVT: 16

RFC_NAME:

RFC1

RSBOLAP_BICS

RSBOLAP_BICS_CONSUMER

RSBOLAP_BICS_PROVIDER

RSBOLAP_BICS_PROVIDER_VAR

RSOBJS_RFC_INTERFACE

RSRCI_LOCAL_VIEW

RSWRTEMPLATE

SDIFRUNTIME

SYST

RFC_TYPE: FUGR

2. ZBW:BEX:RFC (for Bex Analyzer):

ACTVT: 16

RFC_NAME:

RSOBJS_RFC_INTERFACE

RSR_XLS_RFC

RZX0

SDIFRUNTIME

SM02

SUNI

SYST

RFC_TYPE: FUGR

please take in count this points:

1. Prevent unauthorized download of data to excel sheets from users that should have accees only querys from web not bex analyzer (very important this point)=

2. what are the disadvantages of BEx Analyzer, if only if limited by excel...from other point like performance, workprocess with long runtimes, memory issues, for said something.

I don't know if i'm going by good way.

Somebody could help me?

Ramon