cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MaxDB frontend tools & ssh tunneling

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

I am trying to tunnel the MaxDB connections through a ssh tunnel.

I there anybody who can explain how to do this?

I know, that MaxDB uses port 7210 to communicate. So I created a ssh tunnel from L7777 to serverIP:7210 using putty.

I can use this tunnel with DBMGUI registering the database at 127.0.0.1 port 7777, everything works fine.

But:

I can't get a connection from 127.0.0.1:7777 using SQLStudio. Does anybody know why?

I can't get a connection from 127.0.0.1:7777 using DatabaseStudio, it does not matter which kind of tool (SQLsession or DBMsession) I want to use. I am not sure where to enter the port for the connection so I used 127.0.0.1:7777 as string for the server.

Why does it not work?

I tried other tunnels (not loopback address, localhost...), too, but 127.0.0.1:7777 is the one with the best results.

Hoping for your help.

Thanks

Christian

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

If you tunnel 127.0.0.1:7210 to remotehost:7210 you can use DBM- and SQL- sessions in DatabaseStudio.

But I still have no idea why it does not work using other ports.

Best regards

Christian

former_member229109
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Christian,

1. Please see more details at SAP MAXDB library at

http://maxdb.sap.com/doc/7_6/default.htm -> Tools -> Utilities-> X Server

Or

http://maxdb.sap.com/doc/7_7/default.htm -> Tools -> Utilities-> X Server

< review the document => MaxDB Security Guide : Using the MaxDB X Server Behind a Firewall >

MAXD Documentation available at

http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/maxdb

2. There is document "Ports and Protocols of the X Server" in SAP MaxDB Library

See reference at < Tools -> Utilities-> X Server >

On UNIX/Linux servers you could assign a different port to the X Server when you will start it.

And the Xserver uses port 7210 as default, when you run 'x_server start'.

I recommend to start the xserver with default port. What is the problem with that?

Thank you and best regards, Natalia Khlopina

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Natalia,

my problem is not to start the server on a different port, my problem is, that I do only have ssh to connect to the server and want to use DatabaseStudio or DBMGUI/SQLStudio instead of dbmcli and sql_connet and sql_execute, in example.

So I must press everything through a ssh tunnel. Normally you log in to the remote server using ssh, create a tunnel from localhost:12345 to remoteserver:80 and than you can connect to localhost:12345 as if you were using remoteserver:80 in your webbrowser, i.e.

At the moment I am not sure any longer if a tunnel from 127.0.0.1:7210 to remoteserver:7210 is such a good idea, because my DatabaseStudio can't access the integrated UMDB (which is maxdb and listening on localhost:7210?) and so all the saved connections and sessions are not available...

Best regards

Christian