Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

suggestions for FS review to prepare TS document

former_member209912
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Gurus

Good day to you. Now i have a requirement for reviewing the functional specification. I have few FS documents and i want to review them and let my manager know whether those FS documents are having the required information to start up to write a TS document or not. if it is not having sufficient information or if i require more information or lack of information in FS to start up TS preparation, i need to inform my lead. This is my requirement.

Here i require your suggestions or inputs which i should take care while reviewing the existing Functional specification. Please provide your inputs as per your experience.

This is going to help me a lot.

Thanks in advance.

Regards

Raj

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Raj,

While reviewing a FS kindly make note of the below points which will also help you to understand if the data provided is sufficient to make a Technical Spec:

1. Firstly ensure that the requirement is clearly mentioned along with a flow diagram which clearly indicates the role of SAP PI, and the Source and Target are clearly mentioned. Check if the desired requirement is feasible.

2. The Business Logic should be clearly mentioned.

3. List of Interfaces along with its priority and complexity must be mentioned.

4. Frequency and Data Volume of each Interface should be mentioned in the FS.

5. The fields structure should be mentioned along with its respctive occurence for both Source and Target.

6. Incase of Graphical Mapping between Source and Target it should be mentioned in the FS.

7.All the Configuration details of the Source and Target should be there like hostname, IP, user id, Directory Structure(In case of file), all System Details must be clearly mentioned.

8. Incase of JDBC there must be a mention of the type of Database and its version.

9. Incase of an IDOC the IDOC name should be mentioned along with the mapping with the IDOC fields.

10.Naming Convention of the File to be picked and placed (In case of FILE Interfaces) along with the folder structure should be mentioned.

11. Sample files for each Interfaces must be attached for reference.

12. Error Handling Strategy

The above points if kept in mind while reviewing will not only get your requirements clear but will also help you in preparing a solution eventually leading into a technical specs.

Cheers

Dhwani

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Shabarish_Nair
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

some important questions that can be asked is;

Is Source System clearly specified?

Is Target System clearly specified?

Are all Source Data models specified along with name and structures?

Are all Target Data models specified along with name and structures?

Is the Transformation / Mapping details specified clearly for the Source and Target structures/fields?

If there is any Business Validation to be done, is the business logic/algorithm clearly provided?

Is there any interface specific error handling to be done for the technical errors?

Is there any interface specific error handling to be done for the business errors?

Are data volumes mentioned?

For Source System, are all configuration/connection parameters mentioned? - this can still be part of TS

For Target System, are all configuration/connection parameters mentioned? - this can still be part of TS

Is the interface Frequency/Schedule mentioned?

Is there any dependency for the interface from other interfaces?

Are Performance considerations clearly mentioned?

Are Security considerations clearly mentioned?

Are there any persistence needs on the source side ? (Store, Archive, rename etc..) ?

Are there any persistence needs on the target side (Store, Archive, rename etc..) ?