cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

logging

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I am not able to setup my application server to display System.err messages in defaulttrace file. I changed the severity level to debug in the LogConfigurator under Locations. I don't know what else do I need to change to see the custom debug messages in the default trace file. I am also not able to generate the ISA runtime trace files. I changed the runtime.severity property in log-config.properties. Is there anything else I need to do ?

Thanks.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Log on to Visual administrator.

1. Select the LogConfigurator Service in the Cluster/Server/Services/LogConfigurator Node

2. Select the Locations Tab.

3. Expand and select ROOT LOCATION/System/out. or System/err

4. Select Severity: "All".

5. Save your changes by clicking the disk symbol.

pravesh_verma
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

To see your logs from <b>System.err.println()</b>, kindly see the <i>defualtTrace</i> file. All the logs from this statement is logged in that.

It depends on you whether you want to use <i>System.out</i> statement or <i>System.err</i> statement to log in to thi defualtTrace file. This is what AMOL has mentioned in his 3rd point.

If you want to use the <i>defaultTrace.trc</i> file for logging then just write the statement:

<b>System.err.println("This is the error in defaultTrace.<n>.trc file");</b>

Similarly you can write anything you want in this statement.

For eg:

<b>System.err.println("Value==" +value);</b> This will print the value in the <i>defaultTrace.<n>.trc</i> file

You can locate this trace file from the following server location:

<b><Server>:\usr\sap\A06<System_ID>\JC70<Instance_ID>\j2ee\cluster\server0\log</b>

or go to portal and visit the following path:

<b>Sys admin->support->portal runtime->log viewer</b>

I hope this should solves your problem.

Regards

Pravesh

PS: Please consider rewarding points if helpful and solved.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Folks,

Thanks for the responses, but the problem still persists after trying out everything mentioned by all of you. I am using System.err but do not see anything in the defaultTrace file.

Thought I should mention this - the default trace file does not show the application trace. Are these two things related ?

Also, any idea why is the isa runtime log not being generated even after changing the severity level to debug for the isa runtime property in the log-config.

Thx.

Message was edited by: CRMUser

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

It is not recommended to use System.err for logging. You'd better use your own locations.

In order to see the output written in System.err or System.out you need to increase the severity of location System -> err/out to Info and save the changes.

Best Regards

Vyara

Former Member
0 Kudos

Vyara,

Changing it to "info" did not help either.

Thanks.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Well did you try to increase the severity to All? Do you change it on the correct node (server or dispatcher)? Do not forget to save the changes.

Regards

Vyara