Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oracle Bundle Patch Post Installation questions

Former Member
0 Kudos

*Background*
SAP INstallation: SOLMAN 7.0
Oracle: 10.2.0.4(I upgrade this from 10.2.0.1 and I install the latest Opatch Version.
I need: Verify my post installations steps in oracle bundle patch

I guess that Solution Manager with Oracle works in a oracle single-instance without Database Vault, Database Guard, ODP.NET 2.x technolgies or add-ons (If I'm wrong please tell me-In a standart solman installation-)

Ok. Read me file that i following is in the next link. [README FILE| http://mygisco.com/readme.html];

I'm install the Bundle Patch 26 -- p8880861_10204_MSWINx8664_Patch26.zip Successfully until the Post-installation Steps.

seccion of readme file 3.3.6 Post Installation Instructions ---> 3.3.6.1 Loading Modified .sql Files into the Database

Actions that I performed until now.

Point 1(Start the OracleService<SID> and Oracle Listener Services.) OK

Point 2:(Start all database instances running out of the ORACLE_HOME that you just patched)

I started the only db instance under Oracle_Home (DBSID = QAS). i don't know if this is correct, But I guess because then, how to execute the sql querys in points 3 and 4?.

Point 3,4: OK

Point 5. I Have not dataguard(I guess) then I do not configure this step

Point 6(Post install steps for ODBC)

I'm Unable to create a DNS for ORACLE in 'Administrative Tools'-> Data Sources(ODBC) HOw to solve it???

Point 7. I can Apply but after finish the other post installation steps. before was impossible.

Point 8. No apply. ONLY for oracle RAC.

Point 9, No apply. ONLY for oracle Database Vault.

10. Successfully applied in only Database instance unde oracleSID(QAS) , but I don't know if a Need Install this because the message of this point said "For each database instance running out of the ORACLE_HOME being patched, connect to the database using SQL*Plus as SYSDBA and run catcpu.sql as follows"

Point 11,12,13. No apply. ONLY for oracle Database Vault.

Point 14. Inspect the logfile for any errors.( I inspect but I guess errors were insignificants)

Point 15. I see this in registry$history " BUNDLE_SERIES------Patch 26 WINBUNDLE" Then I guess this step is OK.

Point 16. OK. I compile the invalid objects.

Point 17. Ok. I finish.

Can you tell me if My Upgrade process was successfully, and also answer my questions(almost all in quotetation mark)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I post this as reply because if not, the forum system show this as a plain text...

And finally regards to the other post-installation step under section 3.3.6.2 Recompiling Views in the Database in readme.

You must recompile views for all databases except the following:

1.Databases created with Release 11.1.0.6 or later.(THIS NOT APPLY IN MY CASE)

*Databases created with any release (for example, 10.2.0.3, 10.1.0.5, or 9.2.0.8) after CPUJan2008 or a later Bundle has been applied.

3.DBS for which views were recompiled during the installation of a previous Bundle Patch (THIS NOT APPLY IN MY CASE)

Then I don't Know if I need recompile views in the database.?

Really all this post-installations steps are needed????

I read the following notes and I have not found documentation about post-installartion steps, That Is because a posted here.

839187 - ORACLE GLOSSARY--Oracle 10.2.0: Applying patch set/patches/patch collection

871735 - Current patch set for Oracle 10.2.0

839182 - Oracle 10.2.0: Using OPatch to install patches

1178339 - Universal I / OPatch tools are Hanging and or Fail(Unable to lock central inventory)

1137346 - Oracle 10.2.0: Patches/patch collections(Binay files) for Oracle 10.2.0.4

509314 - What do I do with binary files downloaded?

1292339 - Why are necessary Generic Patches?

1227404 -Information about using MOPatch and OPatch to apply patchesOCM

841728 - 10.2: Solutions for installation and upgrade problems

998004 - Update the Oracle Instant Client on Windows

Thanks in advance, I really aprecciate your help and time.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

Yes, we need to recompile the views.

You may check whether view recompilation has already been performed for the database, execute the following statement

SQL>SELECT * FROM registry$history where ID = '6452863';

If above query returns a row, it means, no need for recompilation.

Please confirm.

Best Regards

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Database,

Thanks for answer my last question. Ok, then I will need recompilate

Now, Can Anyone answer my other questions?

Thanks in advance again.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Manfred,

Can you please let us the questions once again, as it is not clear.

Regards,

Ranjith

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for reply.

ok, after this days I have only 2 question now.

Q1. Post installation step number 6 said:

Post install steps for ODBC fix 7704827

1. Create DSN for Oracle ODBC Driver on Windows through 'Administrative Tools'-> Data Sources(ODBC)

2. Once DSN is created an entry can be found in registry.

1. Run->regedit (Enter), You can find 'Registry Editor' window opened.

2. Under My Computer -> HKEY_CURRENT_USER -> Software -> ODBC -> ODBC.INI you can find DSN created through first step.

3. Click on DSN name. You can find all the options supported by Oracle ODBC driver. Go to Menu -> Edit -> New -> String Value . This gives new entry in odbc.ini file as you can see. Rename that String value to 'UseOCIDescribeAny' and enter its value as T/F depending on your requirement.

Then my first question is. I'm Unable to create a DNS for ORACLE in 'Administrative Tools'-> Data Sources(ODBC) HOw to solve it??? Is necesary do this post-installation step??

Q2. Post installation step number 2 said: "Start all database instances running out of the ORACLE_HOME that you just patched"

Then my second question is: Can you explain me this phrase in other terms?? If I have 3 instances what must i do for example

Thanks for answers

volker_borowski2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Q2 usually does not apply to SAP.

It is valid for native Oracle Databases that do share a common set of binaries.

For SAP it is required (there is a note about this)

that each DB has it's own ORACLE_HOME.

So you do OPATCH on ORACLE_HOME#1

and run catcpu against DB#1.

Then you do OPATCH on ORACLE_HOME#2

and run catcpu against DB#2.

Hope this helps

Volker

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Manfred,

For single system installation, i have followd the below mentioned post-installation steps for Bundle patch.

1. Start the listener and Database

2. Go to ORACLE_HOME\Bundle\Patch22 and execute @catcpu.sql.

3. Go to ORACLE_HOME\rdbms\admin and run @utlrp.sql 0

4. If you want to check whether view recompilation has already been performed for the database, execute the following statement

SELECT * FROM registry$history where ID = '6452863';

If the view recompilation has been performed, this statement returns one row. If the view recompilation has not been performed, this statement returns no rows.

5. Run the pre-check script, which reports the maximum number of views and objects that may be recompiled. For this go to ORACLE_HOME\Bundle\view_recompile and execute @recompile_precheck_jan2008cpu.sql

6. Shutdown the Database and start the database in upgrade mode

startup upgrade

7. Now run @view_recompile_jan2008cpu.sql

8. Shutdown the database and start the database in normal mode

9. Go to ORACLE_HOME\rdbms\admin and run @utlrp.sql and note the number of invalid objects and try to compile them manually

10. Verify that the view recompilation has been performed for the database, by executing the following statement

SELECT * FROM registry$history where ID = '6452863';

If the view recompilation has been performed, this statement returns one row. If the view recompilation has not been performed, this statement returns no rows.

End of post-installation steps for Bundle patch

Please refer readme file for above mentioned steps.

Regards,

Ranjith

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks a lot, finally about my first question(Q1), before close this post.

Can I conclude that a sap system do no need this post installation step,? Then ODBC isn't needed in SAP

former_member204746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

nice conclusion, you do not need ODBC.

Answers (0)