Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

We are move our SAP NW2004s, under windows 2003 plateform, Oracle 10g

Please advise me what server we do first QA, or DEV

Do I need to change someting before in SAP server before or after installed VM

Do I need to shutdown instance before run VM

Do I have to provide SAP license again after installed VM machine

or Do you have any best link, or doc. or SAP notes or technical guide line... before we move

Please verify

your response really appriciated

Thank in Advance

Angeline

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

We did VM and nothing change anyting.. everying is working fine...

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

First let me tell you that Productions systems are not allowed in virtual servers.....

To do the migration you need to do a Homogeneous system copy (provided no changes to the OS/DB) and new license will be required as most likely Hardware key will be different.

Read

Note 674851 - Virtualization on Windows

Regards

Juan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you very much for provided that info. and Notes... can you please let me know who will give perfect information if I call SAP or VM company

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

None... process for installation/migration to Virtual Servers is not different that regular installations/migrations. Simply SAP won't support (as far as I know) production systems in virtual servers.

Regards

Juan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Juan and Angeline,

SAP has supported forms of virtualization for production in the UNIX world for a long time, and Linux for a few years, too.

Juan, I believe you are referring to virtualizaiton for production in Windows. In the past, SAP did not support Windows virtualization (performance overhead) but now has since about the end of 2007.

For the latest support statements, see the following Notes:

SAP Note 674851 u2013 Virtualization on Windows

SAP Note 1122387 u2013 Linux: SAP Support in virtualized environments

There are also Notes for UNIX OS, too.

Best Regards,

Matt

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks for clarifying Matt.... I obviously need to go through the Notes again.

Regards

Juan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Matt,

thanks you very much for provided that information, I read that Note, but it doesn't say anyting about License key or hardware key or MIC address key...

I am really confouse becuase some one told me do not change anyting just install VMware software different machine, and get the image... but almost 50% same you have to get new license key or hardware key to install in VMware client...

I have very simple question

We have very powerfull machine we just need install VMwear software in that machine...

I have SAP Image after installed VMware software I have to put that image in it

What I need to change after that in VMware machine?

Do I need to active license key in there too?

please verify

Former Member
0 Kudos

A license key is based upon the hardware key. See Note 174911 - Determining the hardware key (customer key).