Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Defining Approval Steps in STMS

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I've defined the STMS QA Approval Procedure, and today I'm using the approval step "Approved by system administrator", where such users need special authorization values to approve requests in QA (S_CTS_ADMI with TADM and TQAS). Someone can help me to identify the difference between the approval steps "Approved by user department" and "Approved by system administrator"? Is the difference only related to required authorization values?

Regards

Alex

4 REPLIES 4

Former Member
0 Kudos

If you are in the STMS transport domain QA Approval config tab, there is a red "?" looking back at you from the SAPGui. It is waiting for you to click on it...

=> The "request owner" option is against the user ID name - so it is controlled by prior authentication and not additional authorizations.

Cheers,

Julius

0 Kudos

Thanks for your answer Julius, but I donu2019t have the u201CApplication Helpu201D installed, so my red u201C?u201D does not work. Anyway, I have read SAP notes, help.sap.com, SAP materials ADM940 and ADM950, etc, and my doubt is about the difference between u201Capproved by system administrationu201D and u201Capproved by departmentu201D. I understand that the only difference is that each one requires different authorization values (TADM or QTEA), so we can segregate the options using authorizations profiles. We have much more authorizations with tadm value (such as execute tp command), e with qtea just approve transports.

About the u201Crequest owneru201D option, it was my previous configuration, and I know how it works u2026 :).

Thanks

Alex

0 Kudos

Activating the "approved by department" means that it is "sufficient" to perform the QA approval step with authorization value QTEA.

TADM also still works for system admins (e.g. basis guys in client 000, etc...) so you will need to take away this stronger authorization for the more granular control to be available for the users who are to be limited to it.

Typically, this is the QA department, who typically do procedural type of checks, and typically don´t have anything to do with tp...

What was wrong with the "request owner"? Too complicated? User´s changing the owner?

If I remember correctly, you cannot remove the system admin check - you need to remove the access.

Cheers,

Julius

0 Kudos

Thatu2019s ok now. u201CApproved by departmentu201D means that only the authorization value QTEA is necessary to approve requests in QA.

We had to change the step u201Cby request owneru201D because of SOx procedures. There is a SOx ITGC Control where users who create requests in DEV systems cannot approve them in QA. It is to segregate the access to promote changes to Production system.

Thanks

Alex