cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP PI versus BC 4.8

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi guru's,

I am trying to do a comparison between SAP PI 7.1 and BC 4.8. The more I read the more I think BC 4.8 can almost do the same thing as SAP PI 7.1 They both have a lot of the same adapters and use the same techniques.

Are there any big differences between SAP PI 7.1 and BC other than that you can have BPM with PI and in BC4.8 not? Can anyone tell met the big differences between SAP PI 7.1 and BC 4.8 except that BC is for free ?

Best regards

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

rajasekhar_reddy14
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi ,

Recently I worked on SAP BC to PI7.1 migration project,

Comparison point of view there is many differences ,We can PI 7.1 is complete middleware has good features.

Architecture: SAP PI7.1 based on ESOA architecture, many predefined services available, itu2019s based on SAP WebAS server its own by SAP. But BC uses Web methods user interface.

SAP PI providing predefined adapters to connect most of systems, even BC has but functionality and usage is very in SAP PI Adapters.

Development point of view SAP PI provides greater flexibility many predefined function to use.some of the points mentioned above.

Regards,

raj

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Raja,

This might not be exactly the correct place, but can you just share few tips like how you went about for this migration.

I have worked on SAP BC as well as SAP PI, and understand that there is no direct way of migrating BC objects to XI. All scenarios have to be reimplemented in XI ( few third party tools are available but there reliability is questionable )

Regards,

Siddhesh S.Tawate

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

SAP PI 7.1 or SAP BC 4.8..... depends on your requirement.

If you need to have a middleware just for exchanging some XML data with your third party, if the volume of data is not very high and the landscape is not very complicated you can go in for SAP BC 4.8. SAP BC 4.8 was released in July 2008 for a main reason to support higher end hardware and OS platforms. There is not much difference between SAP BC 4.7 and SAP BC 4.8 ( except some transport package is provided for smooth migration between SAP BC 4.7 and SAP BC 4.8). As suggested above the support for SAP BC is only till 2017.

If you have huge landscape, complicated scenarios and might need to have BPM's in future you should go in for SAP PI 7.1. Technically SAP PI 7.1 is far superior to SAP BC (in terms of volumes of message handling, stability etc). Also with PI 7.1 there are lots of new features available.

Hope this would help you to select correct integration platform for your landscape.

Regards,

Siddhesh S.Tawate

former_member187339
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

As far as i heard this a maintenance version released by SAP for older BC products and will support till 2017.. Just to find the differences I have done some google and came to http://www.sappro.com/article.cfm?session=&id=4887

But unfortunately it asks for a subscription to see complete result.

Regards

Suraj