cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EDI messages for ASN and POD - general flow

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

We are looking to send an Advance Shipping Notification Idoc / EDI message to our customer as we despatach and they will send a Proof Of Delivery EDI message to us confirming receipt and quantities.

Am I right in saying that the customer MUST take our delivery item numbers and refer to them with the POD message so that we know which item they are refering to? I think they should otherwise we won't know which item they are referring to. On the other hand I cannot see customers being interested in our item numbers.

Any experience on this?

Thanks

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

We did the despatch advice at one or two project sites and I have some documentation on this that I could look at quickly. We also looked at the POD at another.

My hunch, without checking my documents, is that while the customer doesn't care that the document number is your delivery document, they still need a number for the shipment and the delivery number is as good as any. The POD comes back from the carrier and needs to be able to identify the delivery that it's updating.

I can check with my documents and get back to you with what we did on my project sites. Hope this helps.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for your reply.

You are right that the customer wants a referene number and therefore the delivery number can be used ... so when the POD comes back the delivery number will be referenced ... but my issue is with the items in the delivery

We could have items 900001, 900002 etc and each of these need to be referenced in the POD. So the custoomer woudl need to reference these which I dont think they are likely to do.

I also suspect I am wrong .. but when I try the POD IDOC with WE19 test tool I have to enter the item number .. so either the customer has to send it or we have to do some ABAP to identify the item somehow I think?

Thanks for any more thoughts

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi - anyone out there using an Inbound POD IDOC?

Thx