cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Solman Charms Scenario

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I hav landscape ..DEV 100 200 and QA 100 and pre PRD 100 and PRD 100 is it possible to have charms on this landscape..??? Please help....and provide relevant notes/doc..for the same....????

Please provide some inputs on this scenario.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

raguraman_c
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Do you have two dev systems (or two clients as source?

Feel free to revert back.

-=-Ragu

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I have two separate Dev systems ( say Dev1 & Dev2 ), one Quality ( say Qual ), one Pre Production server and finally the Production Server.

So please help me and explain how to setup TMS for this landscape, transport routes and everything for setting up Charms for this landscape. As for simple 3 tier i know but this is a bit complicated one so please help me out on this.

raguraman_c
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

SAP Recommends that you assign exactly one development system to a production system, and that these two systems are connected by exactly one unique transport track.

If a development system and a production system are connected by more than one transport track, this may lead to inconsistencies within the transport distribution. This type of transport configuration cannot be supported by Change Request Management, and may cause inconsistencies within the tools involved.

So in your scenario you have two dev systems. This is not supported by ChaRM.

Hope this answers your query.

-=-Ragu

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ragu,

Thanks alot... but cud u plz provide me any supporting document for this, i mean any link where it has been specified by SAP not to use such scenario for Charms so that i can convine the Client also on this.

raguraman_c
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

You can check the IMG documentation.

SPRO --> SAP Solution Manager --> Scenario-Specific Settings --> Change Request Management --> Standard Configuration --> Transport Management System --> Define Transport Routes for System Landscape.

Hope this answers your query.

-=-Ragu

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Rahul,

In order to answer your question.

Go in SMSY -> Logical Component -> Select ECC (OR any other product)

You will see only one Development Tab for your development system.

That means you can use only one development system for CHARM in one maintenance cycle.

Hope this answer your question.

raguraman_c
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

> You will see only one Development Tab for your development system.

>

> That means you can use only one development system for CHARM in one maintenance cycle.

This is not the reason that ChaRM supports only one source System (Development).

As far as Logical Component is concerned you can edit the "System Roles" and have two or three Development Systems.

The actual reason is if objects are being edited and transported from two different source systems, it could cause incosnistency of objects in the follow on systems (QAS and PRD).

Rahul, hope this answers your query. If you don't have any other questions please close this thread.

-=-Ragu

Edited by: Raguraman C on Nov 12, 2009 5:12 AM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ragu,

Thanks alot...but

In this Client scenario chances for inconsistency is not there because....first dev server is only for Customizing..and second one is for workbench or ABAP Development.....so please suggest with respect to this Case ...please

raguraman_c
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

We can say chances are less, but hard to take chances in productive environment. SAP provides you the best practice, you can say there are no overlap of objects.

Consider a case where a User-exit, Enhancement spot created for a transaction or you can even take a case of BADI. If you have done any of these developments and in case there is any config changes that could involve any of the programs/transactions that use these BADIs, User-Exits. There could easily be an inconsistency.

This is a common scenarion you have asked. There has been so many posts same as yours (one ABAP Dev. and one Config Dev.) the answer is "Not Supported". You can run a search in this forum if you are still not convinced or even raise a message to SAP.

Hope this answers your queries.

-=-Ragu

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Ragu,

Thanks again for explaining it but...

My client wants this....asking me to set up...can u share the hw to do stms setup. for this sceanario....may be if i can show with some live example then only they will accept to change the landscape....hope u understand my situation..

Secondly.. how can i raise a mesg with SAP without any prob....as far as i know mesg are raised for prob....but here we need to know if we can implement this or not.....if we can raise then which component.. i have to choose to discuss this with them.

Please suggest and thanks for having patience and answering all my queries.

raguraman_c
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

>

how can i raise a mesg with SAP without any prob....as far as i know mesg are raised for prob....but here we need to know if we can implement this or not.....if we can raise then which component.. i have to choose to discuss this with them.

SAP Support is not just for problems, for our queries also. If you raise a message, they may say this as "Consulting Issue" because its clearly mentioned the documentation....

If a development system and a production system are connected by more than one transport track, this may lead to inconsistencies within the transport distribution. This type of transport configuration cannot be supported by Change Request Management.

You need to raise your message under SV-SMG-CM.

>

> My client wants this....asking me to set up...can u share the hw to do stms setup. for this sceanario....may be if i can show with some live example then only they will accept to change the landscape....hope u understand my situation..

Live Examples!!! We cannot create inconsitencies... You can raise a query anyways and try to confirm it from SAP ans show it to your client.

-=-Ragu

raguraman_c
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hey Rahul,

Do you have any other queries? Close the thread if you don't have any.

-=-Ragu

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ragu,

I will post message to SAP but as per my experience they always say it is a consulting issue and that " We regret to inform you that this falls outside of the scope of

SAP Active Global Support under the SAP maintenance agreement"

So i want to know how to set up TMS for this scenario so that atleast i can show some demo to client, can u please help me out on this.

raguraman_c
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

If your scenario is not supported by SAP how can you setup a demo for your client?

If you still want to setup ChaRM, you can follow SPRO IMG activities in sequence SAP Solution Manager --> Scenario Specific Settings --> Change Request Management.

Further, Check this [SDN link for configuring ChaRM|]

I think your query is answered.

-=-Ragu

raguraman_c
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Did you get any answer from SAP.

Close this thread.

-=-Ragu

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ragu,

We have a similar scenario at our client, and I was asked to post a question about this.

We have a normal 3 tier environment, DEV, QAS, PRD. We do customizing and workbench development in DEV100. The customizing is transported to DEV111, the Unit Testing client. Customizing transports are released to group /DEV/, which contains DEV100, DEV111, and DEV113. Only when transported to DEV111 are the customizing transports added to the buffer for QAS100. Workbench transports are changed to target system QAS000, and when released are added to the QAS000 buffer. Unit Testing is compulsory in our environment, but workbench transports are not transported as they will "overwrite" themselves in DEV111, that is why they go directly to QAS000.

At the moment ChaRM is set up and configured, and the transport track used by the Maint Cycle for the Maint Project contains only the /DEV/, QAS and PRD track, thus only customizing transports are "seen" by ChaRM. Workbench transports are changed to target system QAS000 before being released. This means that these transports are now effectively out of the project track, and cannot be handled by ChaRM.

Is there a way we can change the ChaRM config to support the dual transport tracks, or will we need to change the process on our side regarding the workbench developments?

Any feedback will be greatly appreciated. Please let me know if you need any other info as well.

Thanks,

F

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Rahul,

What is pre PRD 100 system? Is it a different box than actual PRD?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Please kindly refer to the following blogs for some examples and exaplination on CHARM usage

First steps to work with Change Request Management scenario

/people/dolores.correa/blog/2008/07/26/first-steps-to-work-with-change-request-management-scenario

Change Request Management scenario: Usual questions

https://weblogs.sdn.sap.com/cs/junior/view/wlg/15116

Change Request Management scenario: Working examples

/people/dolores.correa/blog/2009/07/23/change-request-management-scenario-working-examples

Hope this helps.

Cheers

SH