Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Define a new page code

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

How to define in SAP 4.6 a new page code?

I need this because when I import from external system texts in UTF-8 then some chars isn't correct display.

Edited by: Kosmo on Nov 6, 2009 11:09 AM

5 REPLIES 5

nils_buerckel
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Kosmo,

if you upload data from a Unicode source (UTF-8), you should restrict data to the system code page of your 4.6 system.

The only alternative is to setup MDMP in that system, but SAP strongly recommends NOT to do it !

In addition, even with MDMP, it would be a challenge to upload the data properly !

What kind of characters do you want to support ?

Best regards,

Nils Buerckel

SAP AG

0 Kudos

I found, it is bad translate page in ABAP, for ISO-8859-2 it must be a code page in SAP 1400 but for Windows-1250 page 1404 don't work correctly for example.

Edited by: Kosmo on Nov 6, 2009 1:31 PM

nils_buerckel
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

ISO-8859-2 corresponds to 1401 and MS 1250 is mapped to 1404.

I never heard that 1404 contains wrong definitions - and there are thousands of customers still using it (as frontend code page in sapgui). Do you have any details on wrong definitions (like hexcode) ?

0 Kudos

For example in PHP I had code char = 157 but in ABAP this same char have a value 187

Now I saved PHP file format to ISO-8859-2 and page code 1401 and now all works, but I must use in PHP conversion from UTF-8 to this ISO.

Edited by: Kosmo on Nov 6, 2009 2:54 PM

nils_buerckel
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Old non-Unicode systems (like e.g. 4.6C) cannot handle Unicode data properly.

Therefore the code page conversion is usually done on the Unicode side (in your case PHP).

This is also the case if a Unicode SAP ERP system communicates with a 4.6C system.

On the Unicode side, there are usually better conversion routines.

Of course you have to select the proper Non-Unicode code page in order to transfer data.

In this case it is 1401 (or 1400).