cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how do i extend material to a division?

Former Member
0 Kudos

i know i can extend material to a new sales area via mm01, however when i try and do this it gives me an error. i want to keep sales org and dist channel the same, just want to extend the material to a new division. any suggestions?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

After you enter Plant and Sales org and distribution channel (from old material to new one), select the views that you want.

You will be faced with Basic Data 1 tab. There you can enter the division you want. System will accept it.

By the way what error you are getting

Hope it helps you

regards,

Sagar

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

division is the property of a material which is unique for one client. under same client you can extend a material to multiple sales area but keeping the division same, only swithing by different combination of sales org and distribution channel for different plants. That's why disvision comes under basic1 data which is updated in table 'MARA' once for a material for one client.

Regards

Indranil

Former Member

Hi,

If you want to extend the material to different division than that of the Material Master there is a setting in VOV8. select the required sales document type and untick the item division field then the division is taken from the document header.

Hope this is what you are looking at.

Regards,

Ajay Avadhanula

jignesh_mehta3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Friend,

Material can only be extended to different Sales Organisations & Distribution Channels. By default Material can only belong to one Division.

This is SAP Standard.

By the what is the Business need to extend Material to another Division. Because Division represents a Product line or Business category & one Material Code can logically belong to only one Product Line..

Hope this helps...

Thanks,

Jignesh Mehta

Former Member
0 Kudos

there isn't really a requirement, i'm just exploring, but i can see the logic and why it's sap standard. thank you

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Dearrrrrrrrrrr,

I agreed you want explore your self defenitely.

Really if you want to extend one material different division SAP Doesnt support this functionality, because you cant assign 2 diff divisions for 1 material.

Instead of this dont assign division to material then while creating so it doesnt show any of error. SIMPLE.

But you have to make as a optional division in Material Master .

Hari Mandav

Former Member
0 Kudos

what is optional division? i can create material without assigning it a division?

Former Member
0 Kudos

>After you enter Plant and Sales org and distribution channel (from old material to new one), select the views that you want.

>You will be faced with Basic Data 1 tab. There you can enter the division you want. System will accept it.

Dear Experts,

I misunderstood the the scenario and posted the above quotes which are irrelevant for the given scenario.

I apologies for the wrong post......

What other experts said is very much correct. A single material is always division specific. It can not have more than one division.

E.g. all Finished refrigerators will have one division as Products they cant be extended to another division say Spare Parts.

Sorry once again

regards,

Sagar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Astromar,

A division basically segregates a material of same type. How can a material be of two division?? There is no logic behind this.

A Material can belong only to one division.

Thanks,

Raja

Former Member
0 Kudos

i understand that to you it might seem like there's no logic to it, but i'm sure i could come up with many scenarios where it does make sense. is this why it won't let me extend the material to another division?

this is the error i get when i enter the plant, sales org and dist channel: Material already maintained for this

transaction/event