cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installing 620 SAP_BASIS Dialog Instance with 6.40 Installation Master CD

0 Kudos

Greetings,

At present we have a SAP R/3 Enterprise 47x200 which is dsitributed across two (windows 2003) clustered servers, one for the Central Instance and other for the Database (Oracle 9.2.0.5).

Now and due to perfomance issues on the Central Instance we'd lke to add a Dialog Instance and here is where the doubts come up.

Our SAP_BASIS version is 620 (System -> Status) whereas our SAP Kernel level is 640_REL (SM51).

We have the original 6.20 Kernel CD but we don't have any valid SAP Installation Master CD (originally we made an upgrade from a 4.6B version) so I downloaded from service.sap.com/support the 51033746_13.ZIP (Installation_Master_6.20_6.40_06_08) file (I didn't found any other file better that this one).

The first problem is that when I start sapinst.exe it ask (CD Browser Dialog) for a SAP 6.40 Kernel CD and not the 6.20 Kernel CD I already have. I have found a workaround editing LABEL.ASC file but I think it isn't a good practice.

If I download the Kernel 6.40 from service.sap.com 51030763_1.ZIP (DVD_NW04_SR1_6.40_SAP_Kernel_Oracle) the Sapinst application works perfectly, but here comes up our doubts...

- Could be any problem using these 6.40 installation (Master Installation & Kernel) files for a Dialog Instance installatio in our environment? Are there other installation files which could fit better than these one? Where could I find them?

- When I install a Dialog Instance, does it make changes into the Database Server and Central Instance?

- Initially we'd like to install the Dialog Instance in a test Server, try it, check that it works as we expect, and discard it in order to buy a big and powerful server where we'll definitely install the Dialog Instance. In this case, can we simply discard the test server or we have to follow a complex process for uninstall it? (this question is somehow related to the previous one).

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Javier

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

peter_dzurov
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

it is OK that you have 640 kernel even if your BASIS is 620. 620 kernel is no longer supported by SAP.

- Could be any problem using these 6.40 installation (Master Installation & Kernel) files for a Dialog Instance installatio in our environment? Are there other installation files which could fit better than these one? Where could I find them?

You master DVD is correct

- When I install a Dialog Instance, does it make changes into the Database Server and Central Instance?

It does not make any changes to DB, you will see next Dialog instance in SM51 then

- Initially we'd like to install the Dialog Instance in a test Server, try it, check that it works as we expect, and discard it in order to buy a big and powerful server where we'll definitely install the Dialog Instance. In this case, can we simply discard the test server or we have to follow a complex process for uninstall it? (this question is somehow related to the previous one).

You can discard your dialog instance without following special procedures.

0 Kudos

Thank you very much. It has worked perfectly. The Instance Dialog is working and shows everything green on the MMC.

I also tried a r3trans -d (with user <sid>adm) and it returns Finisshed (return code 0). Everything looks fine...

... but although I'm able to logon from a SAPGUI, I'm not able to do anything from SM51 executed in the Central Instance. SM51 shows the new installed Dialog Instance, but if I try (for example) access its processes it simply does nothing.

I have another problems (I only can login from SAPGUI in English but not in Spanish, I only have two Dialog WP but not Background WP, ... ) but this is the most important now.

Thank you very much.

peter_dzurov
Contributor
0 Kudos

... but although I'm able to logon from a SAPGUI, I'm not able to do anything from SM51 executed in the Central Instance. SM51 shows the new installed Dialog Instance, but if I try (for example) access its processes it simply does nothing.

When you are trying to go to dialog instance through SM51, I would check with dpmon if both DIA WP are not occupied.

I have another problems (I only can login from SAPGUI in English but not in Spanish, I only have two Dialog WP but not Background WP, ... ) but this is the most important now.

As far as I know default installation of SAP System includes only languages - English and German. You will have to install Spanish in addition.

P.S. why are you using only 2 DIA WP on dialog instance?

0 Kudos

Almost solved!

If I logon in English into the Central Instance then I can access to the Dialog Instance from SM51. Therefore it's a language issue.

The problem is that now I don't know what I have to do in order to be able to logon into the new installed Dialog Instance in a language different to English or Dutch (specifically in Spanish).

I have added zcsa/second_language = E and zcsa/installed_languages = DES to the profile. I also have checked SMLT and Spanish language is already imported (in fact is the default language used in the Central Instance).

I mean If we already worked in Spanish in the old Central instance, why can't we logon in Spanish into de new installed Dialog Instance when both of them work with the same Database?

Thank you very much in advance.

0 Kudos

Sorry,it's solved...

I just left another important profile parameter:

zcsa/system_language = S

Thanks again.

peter_dzurov
Contributor
0 Kudos

I am glad to see that it is solved. Please mark this thread as answered then.

Answers (0)