cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Standalone Python client for recent versions of MaxDB / Python?

former_member192710
Participant
0 Kudos

Folks;

I remember seeing some Python related things coming with the MaxDB installation, as well as I remember having a separate bundle of code to make MaxDB accessible from within Python available with earlier versions. However, simply trying to use the Python bits that come with MaxDB along with the Python installation on my workstation (Ubuntu 9.10) failed, so obviously it's not that easy. Is anyone so far using the MaxDB Python tooling and eventually capable / willing to point out how to use the MaxDB Python code with a locally installed Python environment?

TIA and all the best,

Kristian

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Kristian,

what have you tried out and what failed?

Any error messages?

A general "it does not work" does not allow any kind of help.

regards,

Lars

former_member192710
Participant
0 Kudos

Lars;

sorry for the fuzzy question, I'll surely learn I promise. To be more verbose:

(a) I tried following the installation prodecure explained in MaxDB Library -> "Interfaces" -> "Python Manual" -> "Configuring the Python Modules". This tells to download a package "maxdb-python-*" which I consistently fail to find on SDN.

(b) I tried

export PYTHONPATH=/home/kr/kontext/runtime/appservers/maxdb/apps/lib/python2.3

as a "naive" approach trying to add to the PYTHONPATH the Python modules that come with a full MaxDB installation. By then, trying an "import sdb.sql" ends up somehow more or less like this:

>>> import sdb.sql
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
ImportError: sdb/sqlmodule.so: undefined symbol: __gxx_personality_v0

On my platform, however, Python version locally installed is pretty much newer than 2.3 (2.6.4 actually), so I am not sure whether it's a problem of not having the "right" bits of MaxDB Python code installed, of the MaxDB Python bits not being compatible with current versions of Python or any other problems. Is there, overally asking, a way of getting MaxDB Python tooling to work with current Python version?

Many thanks in advance,

Kristian

former_member192710
Participant
0 Kudos

Hmmmm... no ideas on that, anyone? Should I try with later versions of Python and/or MaxDB?

K.

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Sorry - no time yet to install your kind of Linux to a VM and test it out...

regards,

Lars

former_member192710
Participant
0 Kudos

Aah, thanks a bunch nevertheless - though I like this kind of support for sure, you don't really have to go through this effort to track this down. Is there anyhting I can do to make it reproducible / more clear?

K.

former_member192710
Participant
0 Kudos

Hmmm, any new aspects on that? Following my path from sqlalchemy.org, again I ended up here, trying to figure out how / where to actually get a "standalone" installer of Python modules for MaxDB. No luck so far, though. At the moment, I just managed to get things "somehow" to work with Python / pyodbc, lacking however any meaningful support for more sophisticated technologies (talking O/R mappers or frameworks like turbogears, django, ...)... So, any chance of getting any more "powerful" Python client modules for MaxDB?

TIA and all the best,

Kristian