Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A question about copy/paste functionality in SU01 while using CUA

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear all,

I have a question about copy/paste functionality while using SU01 in CUA. In our enterprise we have a very great number of roles which have to be assigned to different users.

If I have to create a new user from the master record of an already existing user, well, it is easy and I just click on the copy button.

But sometimes I have to copy a part of a user roles and assign them to another user, (for example 1200 of 2300 roles from a given user profile), in order to do this, the sole way I know, is to copy them manually, that is, CTRLY and then copy (CTRLC) a page of roles (25 lines in SU01 window) and paste them (CTRL+V) to other use master record. This often takes a very long time when it is about a great number of roles.

What I would like to know is, do you know a better way to do this, for example selecting only once the whole roles (as if I was selecting an entire colonne in an Excel document) and copy/paste them elsewhere?

Thanks in advance,

Dariyoosh

5 REPLIES 5

Former Member
0 Kudos

>

> Dear all,

>

>

> I have a question about copy/paste functionality while using SU01 in CUA. In our enterprise we have a very great number of roles which have to be assigned to different users.

>

> If I have to create a new user from the master record of an already existing user, well, it is easy and I just click on the copy button.

>

> But sometimes I have to copy a part of a user roles and assign them to another user, (for example 1200 of 2300 roles from a given user profile), in order to do this, the sole way I know, is to copy them manually, that is, CTRLY and then copy (CTRLC) a page of roles (25 lines in SU01 window) and paste them (CTRL+V) to other use master record. This often takes a very long time when it is about a great number of roles.

>

> What I would like to know is, do you know a better way to do this, for example selecting only once the whole roles (as if I was selecting an entire colonne in an Excel document) and copy/paste them elsewhere?

>

>

> Thanks in advance,

>

> Dariyoosh

You can eliminate one step but I don't know a way to avoid the manual paste of 25 lines for each intervals. SE16->USLA04 will give you a source of roles from a User ID.

I believe you have a bigger problem in regards to assigning security roles by the thousands. I believe you have gone over the maximum allowable roles you can assign on a user, so I'm a bit confuse on your numbers by the thousands.

Good Luck.

0 Kudos

Hello there,

Thanks for your answer

> You can eliminate one step but I don't know a way to avoid the manual paste of 25 lines for each intervals. SE16->USLA04 will give you a source of roles from a User ID.

>

I will check this to see whether it can help me regarding this problem.

> I believe you have a bigger problem in regards to assigning security roles by the thousands. I believe you have gone over the maximum allowable roles you can assign on a user, so I'm a bit confuse on your numbers by the thousands.

Yes, you're right it seems that I didn't express my problem properly. Actually I had to say thousands of lines instead of roles because there are several hundreds of roles that have to be inserted into our users master record for several clients (we have a lot of clients on each SAP system)

Thanks a lot for your help.

Kind Regards,

Dariyoosh

0 Kudos

Hi,

You can also try SECATT

0 Kudos

Would it be faster to copy the user with the roles and then delete the not neccessary roles in the new user account?

Regards,

Julia

Former Member
0 Kudos

The best way to solve this problem is that a request for a new user with roles has to specify the roles, and not make a request such as "Same as Julius" or "Same as Dariyoosh" etc... as the requestor seldom knows what Julius and Dariyoosh all have.

For user related settings if that is your root cause... please take a closer look into "personalization" (see the tab in SU01 and PFCG) which can also be assigned via the role and transported as well together with the role. It is an admin task by definition (and checks).

Cheers,

Julius