cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Packing issues

Former Member
0 Kudos

this is what i have, material abc needs to be packed in material pallets. i created pallets as leih type. when i place an order for material abc, i also has material pallets at the sales order level. deliver it and bill it, pallets doesn't show up in billing document because it is not valid for billing. then when customer returns pallets, i create a return order type LA and save and then deliver. although, this process seems to be working, i don't think it's the best practice. what do you recommend? what is sap best practice?

thanks!

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

reazuddin_md
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Packing will be done @ Delivery level. ( though in SO also you can do packing, in some cases, packing items may change)

SAP recommended this process in standard. througth this process you can have track of ret. packing wrt: to the SO & Customer.

Else,

you can use movement types as well. where you dont have track of which transaction this materials have been issued to.

Former Member
0 Kudos

okay, so i found some instructions in another post on here and followed them step by step, but am stuck now. i just created an order type LA and enter the returnable packaging material Zpallets. when i enter the material i get this error: No item category available (Table T184 LA VERP )

also, in the material master for zpalettes, i have gen. item cat. grp as leih and item category group as verp. i don't understand why i should change the item category group from verp to leih, because when i pick up a returnable material from ides, it picks leih for item cat. grp and verp as item category group.

Edited by: astromar79 on Nov 5, 2009 10:30 AM

reazuddin_md
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

This is happend, because in Item category determination, there might no record maintained with these combinations.

Check: VOV4

( Sales doc type + Item cat group + Item Usage + Heigher Level Item Cat = Default Item cat / Manual Item Cat)

but, when you create packaging material returning by the customer. then these material should be created in Material type: LEIH-Returnable packaging. ( check which material type you have used while creating Packing material & check the Item category group for these materials in sales views of MMR)

then in LA document - item category LAN will be determined

( LA + LEIH = LAN/REN)

Former Member
0 Kudos

okay, so when i change it to leih, i'm getting a whole other issue. i changed it, and when i goto create new sales order, goto delivery and pack it, it says it packed but the palette material doesn't show up as a line item in delivery?

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI,

Kindly check in VOV4 for the item category of returnable packaging material, if the schedule line is allowed.

If it is there, then in VOV6 select the schedule line category and confirm the movement type.

IF you are sending the returnable material then movement type should be 621

and

IF you are taking back the returnable material then movement type should be 622.

In VOV7, check schedule line is allowed or not in both the cases

regards,

Sagar

Former Member
0 Kudos

how do i check if schedule line is allowed or not? the item category assigned is LAN, and i looked up LAN and there's a check mark next to "schedule line allowed". what should i do next?

Former Member
0 Kudos

this is my issue now, i have general item cat. grp as LEIH and Item category group as LEIH. so, now i create order, goto delivery and pack the material. and it tells me it's packed, but the packing material won't show up as a line item? how do i make it show up so i can create a LA order later on for it?

also, what is the different between general item cat. group and item category group?

reazuddin_md
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Movement type: 621 used in returnable packaging.( SCh.Line cat:E2)

Check Item Category in Delivery document - packing - General data - Additional data tab

it should be "TAL", & check Packing Material type- ( Plant determinatoin indicator ) in Customizing.

Former Member
0 Kudos

i don't think you're understanding me, i pack the item in delivery by going to edit and then pack. it tells me it's packed. but when it goes back to line items page for the delivery, it just shows me the material that was packed, not the material that was used to pack. i can't the item category for the leih material because it never shows up. is it not suppose to show up as a line item in delivery after i pack a material?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Let me tell you that packing is a process where as packaging comes with material.

For packing you need to define the handling units and other things in IMG but for packaging material you can create material - pallates in your case

So, while creating order enter this packaging material i.e. pallates as separate line item,

it will have item category as LAN and schedule line E2 or E3.

Now if you create delivery doc. this packaging material will appear as separate line item besides normal material. Then you do PGI.

No need to go for packing unless there is any packing for the material apart from pallates

Later on you can create return sales order for this material, create return delivery with 622 movement type.

Correct me if i am wrong at drawing conclusion.

Hope it helps you

regards,

Sagar

Former Member
0 Kudos

sagar that sounds perfect and i know that will work but i'm trying to understand why it won't work the way i'm doing it. this is the business scenario, customer places order for 500 units, which i can pack onto one pallets. i already did the customizing settings for material pallets and all the configuration in spro. now, if i go create order for 500 units, i shouldn't need to add another line item for pallets. then when i goto deliver this order, and pack it, it tells me it's packed but pallet does not show up as a line item in delivery, why is that?

what's the difference between packing and packaging as you explained it?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi astomar,

Please tell us how did u resolve your issue as we are also facing the same issue.

please provide us the step by step solution which would be of great help

thanks

AJ

Former Member
0 Kudos

Use returnable packaging provided in standard SAP which is similar to the consignment process. This is the standard way of handling your scenario in SAP.

Good Luck

Chandra Kiran

Former Member
0 Kudos

could someone describe this process in more detail. i've already read up on it but need some more clarification on it.

thanks!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Astromar,

As already suggested its SAP's returnable packaging. Just like the LPGas cylinder or Soft drink Bottles.

The method you are using is i believe is right. For more details you can check

Thanks,

Raja