cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inactive Status in PPM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

We are using APO PPDS & R/3, and I have a question about active & inactive control for production planning.

We have 2 production versions for 1 product. Depending on the duration (we can know it in advance), we decide one version to be used for the production. To cotrol this situation, we manually changed the status of PPM as "Inactive" for one of the version. However, Production Planning Run at night batch job in APO still assign the "inactive" version for this product. Supply source of these planned orders are blank.

This is the situation of our problem. Is there any wrong operation?

For example, not only change the status in APO, we have to deactivate integration model. Or for this purpose, we have to use valid date, or priority etc.

Thank you so much and Best regards,

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Katsuya,

Deactivating the PPM and deactivating integration model at times and then redoing cannot be

the right approach to meet your requirement

If there are orders already available or if there are any confirmed orders in system with the

deactivated PPM, then it results into inconsistency of system.

Rather, you try putting priorities in PPM with different versions (or try cost related parameters)

so that system chooses the one with highest priortity and will not disturb your production

planning run.

Regards

R. Senthil Mareeswaran.

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experrts,

I appreciate kind & clear advice by all of you.

We understood the activate & deactivating PPM is not preferable way. We will try to use priority and valid date controm from R/3.

>I thing i want to ask, you are saying that "However, Production Planning Run at night batch job in APO still assign the "inactive" >version for this product. Supply source of these planned orders are blank." , if supply source of these planned orders are blank >then how can you say that these planned orders are for the inactive version which you have maintained?

When I check the stock/requirement list, the vversion of planned orders are displayed. And the version was inactive version.

Thank you so much again and Best regards,

K.Kokubo

Former Member
0 Kudos

Katsuya,

Version of planned orders in R/3 is determined by R/3 selection criteria, not by APO PPM selection criteria. R/3 does not 'know' that you have inactivated PPM in APO.

Rgds,

DB49

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear DB49,

>Version of planned orders in R/3 is determined by R/3 selection criteria

Does it mean version assginment is done separately and independently in R/3 and APO? So, the version can be different between R/3 and APO? My understanding is normal planned orders created in APO include the version and it is synchronized by CIF function with R/3 by transferring from APO to R/3.

Is my understandin wrong?

Thank you so much for your kind advice.

Best regards,

Katsuya

Former Member
0 Kudos

Katsuya,

Does it mean version assignment is done separately

Yes

and independently in R/3 and APO?

No

the version can be different between R/3 and APO?

Not by design. The system allows you to enter illogical master data, but you will get no functionality when you reschedule/change/convert the orders. Effectively, it is a master data inconsistency error that does not support subsequent transactions.

normal planned orders created in APO include the version

APO Planned orders don't have versions, they have sources. The source is normally a plan, which is derived from the PPM, which is equivalent to an R/3 Production Version. FYI APO planned orders don't necessarily have to have a source. The requirements that APO planned orders have a source is a setting in your Planning Version (/SAPAPO/MVM).

When APO creates a planned order and sends it across, it also sends across any source data that it has determined, which normally includes the R/3 Production Version ID. Inconsistency between the data contained in the source and the R/3 Production version will give inconsistencies in execution. If the Production version does not exist, usually you will get a queue error. Don't ask me for a list of which inconsistencies will yield which types of errors, I don't know them all. I generally try to avoid them by making sure that all master data is consistent before I send across my first order.

The order in R/3, though, is created using the R/3 Production Version. If your data is all consistent, the R/3 scheduling of the order will be external, meaning that each operation will be scheduled using APO scheduling strategy and APO Plans (PPMs).

Rgds,

DB49

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi DB49,

Thank you so much for your kind explanation. It's clear for me now.

Best regards,

Katsuya

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I think this should work with PPM priority. Try giving 0 as the procurement priority in PPM for one Production Version and 999 for the other. When system checks, it always goes by ranking list and selects the first PPM which has highest priority (0). If this PPM is completely used and still you have reqmts to be satisfied, then system choose the other PPM. Am not sure, whether this can be done through MASSD as well.

Activating & deactivating the PPM is not advisable in a live system.

Thanks,

Rajesh Manoharan

b_valavan
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

Heuristics selects the PPM based on a ranking list system generates internally. Raking list is based on quota / procurement prioroty / cost factors etc...

Since the source of supply is blank it indicates no valid ppm is available.

You can restrict the PPM selection using the factors like quota / priority / lot size / validity etc...

Regards

BVN

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Katsuya,

The above problem which you have stated can be due to the following reasons:

a) The Validity of the PPM which you have kept active for planning may be invalid or may be of past.

b) Also check the lot size which you have maintained.

I thing i want to ask, you are saying that "However, Production Planning Run at night batch job in APO still assign the "inactive" version for this product. Supply source of these planned orders are blank." , if supply source of these planned orders are blank then how can you say that these planned orders are for the inactive version which you have maintained?

I want to add a point that, it is preferable to do any PV related changes(active or inactive) in R/3, then CIF it to APO and after that you plan for it.

May be it will solve your problem

regards

Sunshine