cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Difference between 2 step picking and 2 step confirmation

Former Member
0 Kudos

Can any one explain me the difference between 2 step picking and 2 step confimation. In our warehouse we do the goods receipts for PO and we want to place the stock from GR area to an intermediate area first then confirm and another fork lift driver will pick the stock and confirm the stock placements in the actual storage types. What should be my aproach for this process? Can i do two step confirmation ? If i do , where is my stock sitting in the system when i move the stock to intermediate area?

I greatly appreciate your time

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

csaba_szommer
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

1. Two-step confirmation is explained very well in help for customizing node:

SPRO > LE > WM > Activities > Confirmation

Two-Step Confirmation

For two-step confirmation, both storage types involved in the transfer order must be subject to confirmation.

At the warehouse number level, you define whether transfer orders or TO items are to be confirmed in two separate steps.

During the confirmation of the first step, you confirm the pick process from the source storage bin. The source storage bin and the quant are automatically updated. In the quant of the destination storage bin, only the open transfer quantity is updated at this point.

During the confirmation of the second step, you confirm both the transfer process_ and also the receipt of the material at the destination storage bin. Here the source storage bin and its quant are no longer updated, but only the destination storage bin and the quant stored there.

So in this process you move the goods from one bin to another (one transfer order). During confirmation:

- First you confirm that the goods were picked from the first (source) storage bin

- Finally you confirm that tha goods were put away (received) in the second (destination) bin

2. Two-step picking

Please check SAP online help:

http://help.sap.com/erp2005_ehp_04/helpdata/EN/c6/f842674afa11d182b90000e829fbfe/frameset.htm

For 2-step picking, the picking process is divided into two separate steps. You optimize the picking process by collectively removing stock from your warehouse for several outbound deliveries or transfer requirements in the first step, and only reassigning the materials you have withdrawn to the relevant outbound deliveries or transfer requirements in the second step.

With this procedure, you pick a large number of outbound deliveries or transfer requirements all together. Advantages of two-step picking include:

You remove the total amount of material required in the first step. In doing so, you minimize the total number of picking transactions necessary for picking.

Stock removal and allocation are two separate warehouse processes. You create a separate transfer order for each of these steps.

You can monitor each step of the 2-step picking process in detail at any time

Please notice:

1. You remove goods from the bins in connection with outbound deliveries, TRs

From several storage types / bins into one (interim) storage type

2. You allocate the goods to the destination bins

From one (interim) storage type to several bins

(So, here the goods move: several storage types / bins --> one interim storage type --> several bins)

You can do this in connection with outbound deliveries, material staging. But I don't think you can do it for putaway because this is PICKING - please corect me if I'm wrong.

Based on these I think you cannot use the mentioned functionalities to coer your process.

(I know about only one similar standard process, the ID point that is used in SUM:

http://help.sap.com/erp2005_ehp_04/helpdata/EN/c6/f846aa4afa11d182b90000e829fbfe/frameset.htm)

Regards,

Csaba

Edited by: Csaba Szommer on Nov 7, 2009 6:29 PM

Edited by: Csaba Szommer on Nov 7, 2009 6:29 PM

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi-

Two-Step Confirmation refers to confirming the "pick" portion of the TO in one step and subsuquently confirming the "transfer" portion of the TO in a second step. Understand, it is only ONE transfer order that is confirmed in two separate steps.

On the other hand, two-step picking is a process that requires two different transfer orders. I have seen this commonly used in warehouses that do a form of wave picking to a central consolidation point in the warehouse. So, the first transfer order is used to pick and confirm to the consolidation area (std. SAP stg. type 200). From there, a second transfer order is created to move from stg. type 200 and confirm to the outbound delivery ( interim 916 stg. type).

Key difference is first two-step confirmation is done using one transfer order. Two-Step picking requires two transfer orders.

Hope this helps!

Zach

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

There isnt really two step confirmation in WM

Two step picking is when somebody in the warehouse picks the stock and places it in an area on the floor and confirms that he has done that and then somebody else will 'pick' it from the floor and take it to its destination and confirm that this is two step picking.

For GR the stock goes in to 902 and this is an interom storage type and then you put it away from there.

I hope that this helps

Frenchy