cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

available.log in SAP

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

I got question about available.log which SAP that runs on windows. What is actually the function of this log? To see

the availability of SAP or to see the availability of windows service?

Any other log to check the sap availability?

Thanks,

Quare

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

anindya_bose
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

SAP's availability

From ST06-->Details analysis menu >Compare Recent Daysyou can see if SAP was available provided your SAPOSCOL was running properly and collected data.

Your EarlyWatch Report provide information about availability,

Edited by: Anindya Bose on Nov 4, 2009 1:30 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi there,

Actually I got problem last few days. From available.log mentioned that the our SAP unavailability from 29/10/09 to 02/11/09.

So we just curious how many percent that we can trust this available.log that confirmed our SAP is down. There is no log

in sm21 and also in alert<SID>.log.

Yeah your are correct that we can see in early watch. But how we can check in SAP or OS log to confirm

that it's true SAP was down.

Appreciate on your answer and help.

Thanks

vincentlim826
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hi,

Typically, you should use sapcontrol command with function GetProcessList to see the list, rather than solely depend on available.log, which doesnu2019t give you many information.

If one of the monitor processes is not in Green, and it is treated as unavailable in the log.

And those statuses are updated by a service binary called sapstartsrv. So first make sure this sapstartsrv is compliance in version.

You should check in RZ20 and setup proper availability monitoring for each important processes with alert auto-reaction method.

Availability monitoring uses the stand-alone agent CCMSPING. This agent checks the availability of the message server of the corresponding

system. A system is regarded as available if the message server responds to the availability agent's query and at least one application server

is registered as active with the message server. It can also be set up to issue alerts if the availability falls.

There is no other significant standard log/reports, as far as I see.

Regards,

Vincent

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI Vincent,

Thanks for the helpful answer. But I'm not sure where to run the sapcontrol to get the process list. Can you guide me?

I'm also check that our sapstartsrv.exe version currently is 620 patch 1859. Is this consider new version?

Thanks,

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI Vincent,

I'm checking in our server directories and couldn't find any sapcontrol.exe. Is this sapcontrol is consider other tool

to get the the process list? So in order to use this function we need to install in our server rite?

Thanks

vincentlim826
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hi,

sapcontrol is come together with the Kernel Stack I, and located in the kernel exe directory.

if you don't have it, please go and download from SAP Service Marketplace.

regards,

Vincent

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Vincent,

Our SAP Version is Business Information Warehouse 3.10 and Basis release is 620 running on Windows NT. Does this sapcontrol applicable to this version? Since, I'm wondering why in the first place this file is not there.

Let say that sapcontrol does not applicable for our version. Is there any ways to figure out for the sap available?

Thanks.

former_member204746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

you should be using SAP kernel 6.40 with latest patch level.

As far as I remember, kernel 6.20 is outdated an not supported anymore.

vincentlim826
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

first you should consider update to kernel 640.

I do have sapcontrol.exe in my old local test system that run kernel 640 with SAP R/3 4.7 Enterprise and Basis SP SAPKB620XX

what you can do is write a simple batch script (for Unix, shell or bash script) to check if the designated process (i.e disp+work.exe ) is running or not.

or consider CCMS alert

Googling the keyword: batch script check process

regards,

Vincent

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Vincent,

Sorry to bother you again. Actually there is no plan for upgrade to kernel 640. But I think there is must be a way to trace

the sap available for old version 620. If not how SAP can produce the Early Watch Report regarding sap availability. There must be a way.

If you know do let us know. Now, sapcontrol not valid anymore for us.

Thanks

vincentlim826
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

hi,

The Availability in Early Watch report is based on Collector Protocols.

Call transaction ST03N (expert mode) and choose "Collector and Performance DB -> Performance Monitor Collector -> Log".

This check is based on the logs for job COLLECTOR_FOR_PERFORMANCEMONITOR that runs every hour.

The job does NOT check availability; it carries out only general system tasks such as collecting and aggregating SAP performance data for all servers/instances. The log does not contain any direct information about availability; it contains only information about the status of the hourly statistical data collection.

As of SAP Basis 6.40, system availability information is available in the CCMS (Computing Center Management System) of an SAP System, in Service Level Reporting of SAP Solution Manager.

This function is provided by the relevant Solution Manager Support Packages as an advanced development. For more information, refer to SAP Note 944496, which also lists the prerequisites that must be fulfilled before implementation can take place."

cheers,

Vincent

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Vincent,

Thanks for your information. You gave me a lot of idea on this but unfortunately we hardly say that we cannot upgrade to 640

as your advice.

In my case that using 620 version. Do you think that I can still get the accurate figure on our SAP system availability.

Since available.log is not accurate.

Thanks,

vincentlim826
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

As I talked to my colleague in doing Early Watch Reporting, the availability is not 100% accurate.

From my points of view, you should set up CCMS Alert to monitor those core kernel processes, or create your own batch scrpting to monitor the sap binary process at OS level.

Answers (0)